If you are looking for a looking for a way to brighten the day of over 1,000 kids, all before work on a Monday morning, this is a volunteer opportunity for you.
Making History on the Common is a phenomenal and well-loved field trip for Boston Public Schools 3rd through 5th grade students. It is always on the first Monday in June, and it is organized by the nonprofit Friends of the Public Garden.
The field trip takes place between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM (if you are interested in volunteering at the event itself, let me know - we do have some needs during the event!), and we have extra amounts of set-up needs this year. It's a great opportunity for people working in downtown/Beacon Hill/Back Bay to add a little volunteering to their morning, before work.
A number of the tasks involve moving large quantities of items, but there are a variety of opportunities:
- unpacking apples delivered by WholeFoods
- moving crates of single-serve beverages from our office onto the Common (across an intersection and about 50 yards)
- moving buckets of single-serve crackers from our office onto the Common (across an intersection and about 50 yards)
- Arranging all these food items on our tables
- Arranging blue flags on the Common to show students where the original shoreline of Boston used to be
- Setting up chairs and tables and tableclothes at the various booths on the Common
Even a half-hour's worth of help will make a difference for our event. Please RSVP today, and tell your friends!
- Event Management
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- General Education
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- half-hour or more
- Most of the tasks involve movement, but we can arrange for 1-2 seated tasks