Do you love dogs? Do you want to help people with disabilities gain their independence back? Are you able to dedicate 18-20 months to raise a puppy and change a life?
Volunteer puppy raisers provide specially-bred puppies a safe home, take them to obedience classes, serve up a healthy diet, provide socialization opportunities and give lots of love.
Each hour spent caring for a Canine Companions puppy is vital to its development as a future assistance dog. The puppy raising program provides a unique opportunity for volunteers to assist with our very important mission.
As a volunteer puppy raiser, you must agree to the following:
- Provide a safe environment for a puppy who will be the only dog under 1-year old in the house
- Work closely with Canine Companions monitoring the puppy’s progress and submit monthly reports
- Attend Canine Companions approved obedience classes
- Teach the puppy manners and basic commands
- Provide financially for the puppy’s food, medical and transportation expenses
- Feed the puppy a diet recommended by Canine Companions
- Provide a kennel or crate for sleeping indoors
- Provide the puppy with age-appropriate socialization opportunities such as public outings and medical appointments
- Keep the puppy on a leash at all times unless in a securely fenced area
- Supervise the young puppy throughout the day
- Agree to return the puppy upon request
Please visit our webiste to read the Puppy Raiser FAQ.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 18-20 Months