Live In Residential Companion at the House of Healing! You can apply online at: http://plyhc.org/residentialcompanionapplication
WHO WE ARE: Plymouth Healing Communities offers housing and companionship to individuals living with mental illness, breaking the cycle of hospitalization and homelessness, and providing a positive alternative to shelters and the street.
House of Healing Residential Companion: We provide a small, referral-based, neighborhood-scaleemergency shelter for people who have experienced housing instability or homelessness. Specifically, this is a respite housing to people released from Harborview's inpatient psychiatric units and outpatient mental health clinic following an acute episode of mental illness.
Companions build restorative relationships with residents and collaborate with the program coordinator and with residents’ mental health service providers to support their recovery. Companions are accountable to one another and to the program coordinator, director and board. Weekly team meetings are facilitated by the program coordinator, who also meets one-on-one with companions to provide supervision and mentorship and work to build an analysis of the ways in which trauma and oppression intersect within the mental health system. Companions are expected to participate in ongoing training and to take advantage of personal/professional growth opportunities.
The House of Healing Residential Companion position is a year-long, live-in time of service with private room and board provided. In addition, a monthly stipend of $375, health insurance, and a bus pass are provided. Each companion needs to be available on a flexible basis to assure that among the companions there will be coverage at the House at all times. Companions may seek part-time work, study, or volunteer opportunities, but the role and duties of companionship must be prioritized throughout the year of service.To ensure 24-hour availability at the house, at least one member of the companion team will be on shift at all times.
- Fill out online application www.plyhc.org/residentialcompanionapplication
- Interest in working directly with people experiencing homelessness and/or people living with mental illnesses.
- Confidence, curiosity, and creativity within interpersonal relationships
- Exceptional communication and active listening skills
- Dedication to self-reflection and willingness to discuss personal and professional goals
- Ability to respond to difficult situations and problem-solve calmly and appropriately
- Experience with group living and shared responsibilities
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Crisis Counseling
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Live in the House of Healing and share responsibilities with Companions and Residents