BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 26 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, clothing and support to gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Volunteer Financial Coach will work one on one with students in our Women's Economic Empowerment Program, sharing knowledge on basic budgeting, setting and achieving financial goals, and strategizing ways to live within means. The ideal candidate will be fluent in English and Spanish and have knowledge of Financial Coaching and budgeting, in addtion to coaching/tutoring experience.
The time commitment for this position is 8-10 weeks, for 1-2 hours, once a week.
* Share knowledge on budgeting and managing personal finances
* Meet with students for one hour per week at a Los Angeles Public Library
* Maintain positive working relationship with student and IRC team
* Fluent in English; advanced or fluent Spanish highly preferred
* Solid understanding of basic financial concepts
* Some teaching experience preferred
* Reliable transportation
* Must be culturally sensitive and respectful of various backgrounds, lifestyles and beliefs
* Report volunteer hours monthly to volunteer management staff
* Respect client privacy and treat information as confidential
* Flexibility, resourcefulness and an easy-going attitude a plus
This position reports to the IRC Financial Coaching Specialist.
- Financial Planning
- Teaching / Instruction
- Financial Literacy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- A firm commitment of 8 weeks, one hour per week
- Previous experience in Personal Financial Planning is highly preferred. Bilingual in Spanish