Please apply at:
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm is a community farm that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition and sustainable agriculture to grow and share healthy food, care for the land, and help and strengthen connections between neighbors. Through hands‐on educational experiences and produce donations to neighbors that need it most, the Farm is fostering a vibrant and sustainable community that grows, seeds, and shares.
Coastal Roots Farm consists of mixed gardens, an orchard/food forest, animal pastures, and a vineyard, all in various stages of development. The Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and was recently spun off as a separate 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Coastal Roots Farm is funded through a diverse revenue mix, including philanthropic partners and social enterprise.
About Farm Lab
Farm Lab is an indoor and outdoor educational campus for all students in the Encinitas Union School District. Students learn Next Generation using the DREAMS approach to education, incorporating design, research, engineering, art, math and science into engaging experiential science lessons that bring nutrition and environmental education to life.
Farm Lab and Coastal Roots Farm are working together to bring healthy, organic produce to the Encinitas Union School District's school lunch program - because healthier kids are better students.
- Plant maintenance: Harvesting, Propagation, Field Preparation, Planting, Weeding, Pruning, Fertilizer application, Organic pesticide application, Potting up
- Crop Maintenance: Mulch applications to fields, Agricultural fabric applications to fields, Trellising, Pest Management
- Soil work: Soil Mixing, Composting, Earthworks
- General Maintenance: Irrigation, Landscape maintenance, Roads, swales, fencing, and other necessary earthworks
- Other duties as assigned by staff
Time Frame and Commitment:
- Commitment of 3 hours per week
- Commitment of at least three months
- As the Farm Lab Volunteer may be working independently, using CRF tools, and interfacing with school children, volunteer must complete and pass a background check at their own expense
- Physical abilities: can bend over, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work in hot or cold temperatures
Ability to lift or move 20 lbs.
Willingness to take direction and complete tasks from CRF staff
Interest in organic farming and gardening, experience preferred
- Volunteer tee-shirt!
- Increase your understanding of and competency in sustainable agriculture practices.
- Knowledge that you've helped increase access to locally grown, fresh and healthy produce to community members in need
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week
- Can bend, squat, kneel, Able to lift or move 30 lbs