- Harvest fresh produce
- Plant seedlings
- Have fun!
- No experience necessary!
- Desire to work outdoors
- Willingness to get dirty
- Ability to drive or carpool to Madrid, IA
- You will get dirty! Wear comfortable clothing that could use some dirt and mud on it.
- Long pants are recommended. If it is very hot, and you prefer shorts, please note that you will likely be kneeling in the dirt and mud. You may bring a towel or piece of carpet to kneel on if that is the case.
- Wear comfortable shoes, keeping in mind that flip flops/sandals don’t always work well in mud.
- Bring your own gloves if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, although they are certainly not required.
- If it is sunny you may want sun screen, a hat, sunglasses, and/or a long-sleeved shirt.
- ****If you have a truck or other vehicle that can haul, please bring it along and help us get the harvest to the food bank and into the cooler.*****
- The address to the farm is 2191 340th St. Madrid, IA.
- Please note that not all GPS systems, while they may be close, do not take you to the correct location.
- Directions will be sent in a confirmation e-mail after you sign up.
- There is no age restriction. All are welcome!
- This is a great family event!
- The Blackmer family will provide all the training for the project.
- You may bring your own knives and/or shears if you like, but all the tools required will be available at the farm.
- This project is highly weather dependent.
- If we receive more than 2 inches of rain the night before the planting will have to be delayed.
- If there is a thunderstorm on the day of the project it will be delayed.
- You are responsible for your own food and beverages at the project.
- There is a refrigerator available for lunches, drinks, and medicines.
- The farm has some picnic tables for breaks and lunchtime.
- There is a pizza place within 10 minutes of the farm where previous volunteers have picked up from.
- There are also a couple of restaurants within 15 minutes of the farm.
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- 2-3 hours