Background: Since 2002, MAP has published the International Children’s Mangrove Art Calendar to engage with kids from all over the world. In 2017, children from 14 nations entered our contest by answering a simple, but intriguing question: "What do the mangroves mean to my community and myself?" See a link to the project here: http://mangroveactionproject.org/childrens-calendar/
The calendar is an educational tool and an important part of MAP’s outreach programs, and in order to expand this outreach as well as leverage the calendar as a better fundraising tool, we need assistance promoting not only the calendar contest but also the calendar itself once published.
Goals: To support the Calendar Coordinator, Monica Quarto, in promoting the calendar contest through social media and direct outreach to primary schools in mangrove regions, marketing the calendar when it is printed, and coordinating distribution and sales of the calendar. Provide the volunteer/intern with additional marketing and outreach experience in a practical environment, allowing them to design and lead a marketing campaign themselves with assistance.
Reporting and Collaboration: The volunteer/intern will report to the Calendar Coordinator, Monica Quarto. Key collaborators may include the Executive directors in Seattle, international staff, and the Visual Media Designer.
Responsibilities: Complete weekly and monthly tasks assigned by the Calendar Coordinator or Executive Director. Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Developing or assist with developing a communication and outreach plan to attract participants (students, schools, related organizations) in the 2019 Calendar Contest
- Developing or assist with developing social media posts for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Designing or assist with designing a coordinated marketing campaign to advertise the calendar contest and the calendar sales
- Researching bookstores, aquariums, zoos, dive shops, etc. where the calendar can be sold regionally in the Pacific Northwest as well as around the US
- Completing sales processes - printing acknowledgement letters and shipping calendars to anyone who purchases them
- Data entry: gathering relevant and updated contact information for schools, nonprofit organizations, zoos/aquariums, businesses for MAP's database
- Assisting the Calendar Coordinator as needed
Skills and Abilities:
- Communication - Possess excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills. Able to employ technology such as Vertical Response (or similar email systems like Constant Contact and MailChimp), social media platforms, etc. Comfortable speaking on the phone.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, especially Outlook, Word and Excel
- Organization - Able to track tasks and project, organize and revise data, schedule appointments, and complete project tasks per predetermined deadlines. Able to adapt to shifting priorities and manage multiple deadlines
- Collaboration - Able to work cooperatively with a variety of individuals of varying positions and ages located internationally.
- Motivation - Able to work both independently and with a team, and able to problem-solve and propose solutions to staff and other volunteers.
- Marketing - Have experience with marketing campaigns, including the use of social media, graphic design, multi-channel communications and messaging, planning, etc.
- Familiarity with mangroves, international conservation and tropical ecosystems
- Enjoys art, especially encouraging children’s art
- Familiar with consignment sales
- Experience with general sales
- Experience with project management
- Bilingual or multilingual is an asset
- Willingness to propose new ideas, systems, or tools to the staff
Location: Portions of this position can be completed remotely; however, it is desired that the volunteer/intern will work at the MAP office in Seattle 1-2 days a week. Hours and schedule will be predetermined by the volunteer/intern and Calendar Coordinator at the start of the commitment.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Retail / Sales
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 2-5 hours/week