DONATE TO THIS
9 people are interested
La Grange area Pet Therapy Hospice Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
9 people are interested
Patient Support volunteers with a pet companion are part of the interdisciplinary team and provide support in various settings including the home, in-patient units, and skilled nursing facilities
Helping to care for our patients and families is a critical role played by our volunteers. These positions are some of the most challenging and rewarding volunteer opportunities at Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care. Volunteers in Patient Care and Family Support provide in-home services to patients currently being served by Rainbow Hospice.
Apply through our website: https://rainbowhospice.org/life-institute/volunteers/
Responsibilities may include:
- Assists the patient/family by providing friendly visits with a certified pet.
- Offers emotional support, companionship and supportive listening to patient/family, or essential services i.e. errands, shopping, light housekeeping, etc.
- Serves as an integral member of the Hospice interdisciplinary team.
- Assist team and provides input to the plan of care as appropriate.
- Documents volunteer time and patient visit activity in an accurate, timely and objective manner.
- Maintains open communication, reporting regularly to the volunteer coordinator.
- Participates in bereavement follow-up with families, as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Adheres to Rainbow Hospice policies and procedures.
- Completes the mandatory annual education.
- Meets all health requirements set by Rainbow Hospice.
- Participates in volunteer support and educational in-services.
- Assists in training of new volunteers as appropriate.
Day(s) Needed: Weekdays, Evenings or Weekends
Time(s) Needed: Preferably in 3-4 hour time blocks, flexible schedules based on volunteer availability
Because of the direct patient and family interaction, all of these positions require Patient Care and Family Support volunteers to go through specialized Patient Care Training. This process teaches you about hospice and terminal illness and helps prepare volunteers to interact with and support our patients and families.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Successful adjustment to personal losses and no personal loss within past 12 months.
- Successful completion of volunteer training program.
- Clearance from appropriate health screenings, background check, fingerprinting.
- Agree to mandatory policy statements.
- Minimum commitment of 1 year of service; at least 3-4 hours per week.
- Supportive of hospice concept, and willing to serve others in a volunteer capacity.
- Comfortable working with families with different cultural and religious values.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Independent means of transportation.
- Previous volunteer experience preferred.
- Pet owner with successful completion of pet therapy certificate accepted from a nationally recognized organization such as Pet Partners or Therapy Dogs International (TDI (r))
- Proof of pet liability insurance (added to a homeowners policy and is very inexpensive).
- Veterinary vaccination records.
About Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care
1550 Bishop Court, Mount Prospect, IL 60056, US
Empowering our community to live with hope and resilience throughout the journey with illness and loss.
Rainbow Hospice is here to help others navigate end-of-life experiences - just as it has done for thousands of patients and families for more than thirty years.
Our organization also extends comfort and support to bereaved loved ones of Rainbow Hospice patients and to anyone from the communities in the greater Chicago area. Rainbow Hospice serves residents of Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage and Will Counties. Rainbow Hospice received re-accreditation from the Community Health Accreditation Program (CHAP) -- the independent, non-profit accrediting body for community-based health organization -- in spring of 2017. This accreditation assures patients and the community that Rainbow Hospice exceeds the highest standards in home health care.
Through its services, staff, volunteers, bereavement programs and The LIFE Institute for Learning, Rainbow Hospice offers support and education that enables people to live with dignity and hope while coping with loss and the end of life.
Volunteer near your homeLaGrange, IL 60525
August 17, 2022
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- Elder care
- Animal Therapy
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours a wk/arrange w/caregiver to meet patient