6 people are interested
Position Title: Mentor
Position Summary: Our mentoring program pairs an individual from Burma with a mentor. Mentors will help mentees reach their personal, professional, and educational goals. The pair agrees to meet once per week for 24 weeks. Session times are to be determined by the pair. This program is for someone who has a flexible schedule and is able to commit to a six-month long program.
- Work one on one with a refugee to help them reach their personal, professional, and educational goals
- Plans culturally relevant educational materials ahead of time
- Document client interactions and maintain confidentiality
- Professional, respectful, and positive attitude
- Ability to work one on one with a member of the refugee community
- Must be 18 or older
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience preferred
- Must be able to commit for 24 weeks or 6 months
- Cultural presentation detailing the history and attributes of refugees from Burma to gain a larger understanding of the community being served.
- The Mentoring Coordinator and an interpreter will be at the first meeting to help with introductions, understanding of the mentees goals, and to discuss the commitment further.
- Mentoring Coordinator will routinely check-in to make sure all is going well.
Start Date: Continuous
Location: At a meeting location of mentor and mentees’ choice in greater Des Moines area
Schedule: One hour a week for six months.
To apply: Fill out our application located at embarciowa.org/application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
2309 Euclid AvenueDes Moines, IA 50310
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- one hour a week for 6 months
- must sign an agreement contract