Refugee RISE Mentor
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
Refugee RISE Mentor
You want to make a radical difference in another person’s life. You enjoy listening to the unique problems of others, setting realistic goals, and know how to motivate others to follow through. You are patient and an effective communicator. You want to learn about other cultures and share your own. If this description sounds like you, consider serving as a RefugeeRISE mentor.
RefugeeRISE is an AmeriCorps program focused on increasing economic self-sufficiency, job readiness, and increasing community engagement of individuals who came to the U.S. as refugees. The program supports 100+ members who serve with host site organizations across Iowa that currently address refugees' immediate and long-term needs. AmeriCorps members are paired in teams with at least one member of each team speaking the target population language. The team works together to create culturally and linguistically appropriate training materials for their respective communities.
Volunteer Objective : To develop relationships with RefugeeRISE AmeriCorps members that promote positive decision-making towards personal, professional, or educational goals for mentees.
Location : Agreed upon location between mentee and mentor; in public community places in the greater Des Moines area
Key Responsibilities :
- Plan and organize weekly engaging activities with mentee emphasizing goal setting
- Guide mentee to develop strategies to effectively address identified goals
- Listen to and provide feedback to mentee about their personal, professional, and educational goals
- Connect mentee to community resources that align with their goals
- Communicate with Volunteer Coordinator, RefugeeRISE AmeriCorps Program Coordinator, and mentee about progress and challenges
- Maintain confidentiality of mentee
- Monthly check-ins with RefugeeRISE AmeriCorps Program Coordinator
- Write monthly journal update about status of mentoring
- Innovative and conceptual thinker with good problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate with a broad range of audiences especially English language learners
- Excellent organizational skills and prior experience scheduling and facilitating individual as well as group meetings
- The ability to motivate others
- A thorough understanding of what it means to be a good advocate and ally
- Prior coaching, mentoring, or teaching experience
- Able to use technology essential to job responsibilities (internet, computer software, data information systems)
- Transportation: this position requires access to a personal vehicle or reliable mode of transportation, a valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Background Checks: ability to pass an extensive background check including the Dependent Adult and Child Abuse registries, Sex Offender registry and criminal history check.
Time Commitment : Weekly meeting with mentee for one or two hours. Six month commitment required. Mentors are required to attend two trainings: (1.) A group orientation with other mentors and (2.) A goal-setting training with RefugeeRISE members. Other group trainings are optional but highly encouraged.
Training and Support Provided :
- Cultural presentation detailing the history and attributes of refugees to gain a larger understanding of the community being served.
- EMBARC’s mentoring coordinator and an interpreter, if needed, will attend your first meeting to help with introductions, understanding the mentee's goals, and to discuss learning outcomes.
- Guidance and routine check-ins with the supervisors
Supervisor : Brett; email@example.com and Layla Younis; firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply: Fill out our application located at embarciowa.org/application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
2309 Euclid AvenueDes Moines, IA 50310
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly meeting with mentee for one or two hours. Six month commitment required. Mentors are required to attend two trainings: (1.) A group orientation with other mentors and (2.) A goal-setting training with RefugeeRISE members. Other group trainings
- must sign an agreement contract