Refugee 1-1 Mentor
7 people are interested
You want to make a radical difference in another person’s life. You enjoy listening to the unique problems of others, setting realizable goals, and know how to motivate others to follow through. You are patient and can communicate with another person using simple sentences and few words. You want to learn about another person’s culture and share your own. If this description sounds like you, consider serving as a Refugee Mentor.
Objective : To help a refugee reach their personal, professional, and education goals.
Location : In the community or in the mentee’s home within the Greater Des Moines area
Key Responsibilities :
- Meet with a mentee once per week
- Plan personalized and engaging lessons
- Motivate mentee to achieve their goals
- Prior mentoring, teaching, or tutoring experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Time Commitment : At least one hour per week for 24 weeks
Training and Support Provided :
- Cultural presentation detailing the history and attributes of refugees from Burma to gain a larger understanding of the community being served.
- EMBARC’s mentoring coordinator and an interpreter will attend your first meeting to help with introductions, understanding the mentees goals, and to discuss learning outcomes.
- Guidance and routine check-ins with the mentor program coordinator.
Supervisor : Brett; email@example.com
To apply: Fill out our application located at embarciowa.org/application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
2309 Euclid AvenueDes Moines, IA 50310
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- one hour a week for 6 months
- must sign an agreement contract