Position Title: Adult Mentor
Position Summary: The individual mentoring program pairs an individual from Burma with an individual from America. The pair agrees to meet multiple times per month at a time to be determined by the pair. This program is perfect for someone who has a flexible schedule and who is willing to commit to a year-long, meaningful program working in a one-on-one environment.
- Work one on one with a member of the refugee community in order to achieve a goal.
- Complete weekly journals documenting each session.
- Professional, respectful, and positive attitude.
- Ability to work one on one with a member of the refugee community.
- Ability to make a six-month commitment.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must understand and sign a confidentiality contract.
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience preferred.
- Cultural presentation detailing the history and attributes of refugees from Burma to gain a larger understanding of the community being served.
- The Mentoring Coordinator and an interpreter will be at the first meeting to help with introductions, understanding of the mentees goals, and to discuss the commitment further.
- Mentoring Coordinator will routinely check-in to make sure all is going well.
Start Date: To be determined
Location: Des Moines
Schedule: One hour a week for six months.
Reports to: Kaitlyn Humpal
To apply: Fill out our application located at embarciowa.org/application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- one hour a week for 6 months
- must sign an agreement contract