Math Teacher for Maasai School in rural Tanzania
1 person is interested
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and innovative educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates the Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
ESL Maths Teacher
We are accepting applications for an ESL-trained Maths Teacher to teach beginner, intermediate and advanced mathematics skills to students Forms I-V (equivalent 7th-11th Grade level) at the Mungere School, engaging them to speak, read, write and understand an English-based Mathematics curriculum in a creative and stimulating classroom environment.
Mungere students live in a remote community, where English is rarely spoken and primary school is taught in the local language of Swahili. Yet, Tanzanian secondary school curriculum is based in English medium and the language barrier can be a significant obstacle to learning. Teachers engage students to actively participate in Mathematics classes and extra-curricular activities designed to broaden skills.
TERM I: January 7 - June 7, 2019
TERM II: July 8 - December 13, 2019
*ability to combine terms to extend service
- Engage students through creative curriculum development, innovative lesson planning, and interactive pedagogy
- Create stimulating and active classroom activities
- Assess and monitor student learning outcomes
- Assist in the coordination of academic and extra-curricular activities and clubs, including athletics
- Assist with school projects, administration and instructor development as needed
- College degree
- Minimum 3 years of classroom experience
- ESL/EAL/ELL certification (TEFL, CELTA or equivalent) preferred
- Commitment to interactive and an engaging classroom experience
- Experience traveling, working/living abroad
- Organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing organization combine leadership skills with humor, patience and a humble approach to service
- Minimum 6-month commitment
- Shared housing available
- Stipend available, depending on experience
- Professional and cultural orientation program (language training options available)
- We do not charge program fees; Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and living costs
Work, With A Side of ADVENTURE
As you experience life in a remote tribal community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti Plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
How To Apply
Email current resum?/CV and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Sweater ProjectMto wa Mbu, Arusha Tanzania
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 21
- 5 months
- Government ID