AmeriCorps VISTA: Volunteer Corps
7 people are interested
ALL You Need to Know About One Amazing Opportunity!
AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer Corps Member
Are you passionate about serving the community?
Are you ready to commit a year of your life to meaningful work, and in turn receive unmatched personal/professional growth through joining a network of change agents nation-wide?
Are you looking for a way to assist in making Los Angeles a more equitable place through effective sustainability?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you have found your next stop.L.A. Works!
What we do?
We are known as L.A.’s Volunteer Power, we link thousands of volunteers to meaningful work around LA Proper. Our volunteer palette ranges from students, community members, corporations and other Nonprofits. In addition to being that bridge that connects volunteers to their passion, we host direct service projects for days such as LA Works Day and MLK Day. We build up leaders through volunteerism, a craft we find crucial to future sustainability.
Where do you add to our pursuit in a more equitable place for Angelenos?
We place 13 dedicated-to-change Americorps members at 13 of our nonprofit partner’s locations as volunteer coordinators. One of those 13, could be you!
What does this mean?
You will help transform their host site’s volunteer programs through more effective volunteer recruitment, placement, and engagement practices. The great thing about having multiple host sites, you will be paired with a nonprofit whose mission is "speaks to you" personally. As a volunteer coordinator you would be responsible for the following:
- Thoroughly assess host site’s volunteer program and contribute to the identification of new, creative volunteer roles at host site;
- Conduct targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increase the number of volunteers placed at host site;
- Contribute to monthly and annual grant reporting as well as serve as a Project Leader at L.A. Works special days of service;
Am I still a part of LA Works?
Yes, you are! You’re actually apart of both teams, which is amazing! Attendance at a monthly meeting at L.A Works that enhances both professional and personal growth is required for all Vistas. Three networks are at your fingertips---LA Works, Americorps VISTA, and your host site’s organization!
Is this paid? What are the benefits of serving for a year?
Because you would be a volunteer, who is serving, you would receive a stipend bi-weekly (a total of 26 times over a year. We have to be honest, it is definitely a humble salary, but again---the experience is worth it. Other benefits aside from networking include:
- Segal Education Award | Upon successful completion of one year of service, AmeriCorps members earn a $5,775 (or equal to the Pell grant amount) education award that can be put towards student loans or future educational expenses.
- Loan Forbearance | AmeriCorps members may be eligible to have their loans temporarily postponed while they are serving
- Childcare | AmeriCorps VISTA member may qualify for childcare assistance during their terms of service.
- Health Benefits | All AmeriCorps VISTA members are eligible to participate in the Health Benefits Program at no cost.
So, I suppose you’re wondering what type of qualities we are looking for. Two words; game-changers. But to spell them out, we’re looking for individuals who embody:
- Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service;
- Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Engaging public speaker and networker
- Professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone
- Passion for nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.;
- Some evening and weekend commitments;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
Duration: One-year commitment
About AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps VISTA is one of three main service programs of AmeriCorps that connects full-time members to community organizations and public agencies to create and expand programs that build capacity and ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. Members gain valuable professional, educational, and life experience.
The term of service lasts for 1 year.
A Virtual Member Orientation(VMO) Training is required for all members.
570 West Avenue 26Suite 400Los Angeles, CA 90065
- Program Management
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Full-time, One year