Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and advanced educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates the Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
As a rural institution, the Mungere School manages its own on-campus farm to provide a sustainable and nutritious meal program for students. The program currently serves over 240 meals daily and will grow to serve over 650 meals daily at full capacity. The position will supervise one assistant, coordinate work parties, research local practices while exploring both modern and proven farming techniques, and manage the 21,000 sq. ft farm.
July 15, 2018 - December 9, 2018 (4 months)
- Supervise, direct and coordinate worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, fertilizer application, harvesting and record-keeping
- Analyze program need and conditions to determine crop and acreage allocations and coordinate growing activities
- Conduct research and liaise with local agricultural institutions to determine best practices
- Maintain records information, such as production, farm management practices, and parent stock, and prepare financial and operational reports
- Determine procedural changes in allocation, product use and storage for greater efficiency and accuracy
- Analyze soil to determine type and quantity of fertilizer required for maximum production
- Purchase equipment and supplies, and inspect and maintain equipment to ensure proper functioning
- Enforce safety regulations
- 2+ years of work experience with demonstrated passion for agricultural development
- Agricultural research and/or farming experience; apiary skills a plus
- Strong data analysis skills including Excel
- Experience traveling, living abroad preferred
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing institution
combine leadership skills with good humor, patience and a humble approach to service
How WE Pitch In
- We pick you up at Kilimanjaro Airport and transport you to your new home
- We arrange and furnish housing
- We provide orientation, familiarizing you with life in Tanzania and office operations
- We do NOT charge volunteer program fees
- We provide assistance with travel planning and arrangements
- We welcome your input and value your suggestions
How YOU Pitch In
- You use your passion and experience to the benefit of students
- You cover your living expenses
(USD $200-300/month average)
- You pay for airfare, immunizations, and visas (between USD $300-800)
- You pay for your health insurance and medical expenses (if any)
- You agree to follow our volunteer conduct and safety policy
Work, With A Side of ADVENTURE
As you experience life in a remote tribal community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti Plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
How To Apply
Submit current CV/resum? and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Management
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 5 months
- Government ID