The annual COTS Walk is a 3-mile trek around downtown Burlington, starting from Battery Park and follows the route a person experiencing homelessness might travel to receive shelter and services. This is the one day of the year that we open our shelters to the community so people can see how their pledges are put to use.
Registration opens at 1p.m. and at 2 p.m., participants are led by the drummers of Sambatucada down the Church Street Marketplace along Main Street and into surrounding neighborhoods. Along the way, walkers are invited inside of COTS’ numerous buildings.
The walk takes about an hour and concludes back at Battery Park where walkers are met with music and refreshments
We need help with:
- Crossing Guards: 14 volunteers during the Walk (1:15 p.m.)
- Clean-up: 5 volunteers for clean-up (4:00 p.m.)
- Data Entry: 3 volunteers to add data onto excel spreadsheets (3 p.m.)
- Counters: 15 volunteers If you have a banking or accounting background, this is the role for you! (12:30 p.m.)
- Route Walkers: 10 volunteers to help direct walkers. These volunteers must have past experience as walkers and be familiar with the COTS organization. Besides helping guide walkers along the route, we'll need you to help answer walker questions (1:15 p.m.)
- Face Painters: 2 volunteers to help with face painting at Battery Park
- Ted E. Bear: 1 volunteer to wear mascot costume for the Walk.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- volunteer shifts are 2 to 3 hours