Be a Volunteer Teacher in Trujillo, Peru
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
LCQC was founded in 2013 because too many children who have very low self-esteem have an increased chance of becoming involved in drugs and crime, but also of suffering from anxiety and depression.
LCQC is a nonprofit organization that helps impoverished children in different areas of Trujillo develop their self-esteem through educational workshops and cultural exchange. LCQC also runs the school reinforcement program, the English teaching program, Physical education and art workshops and micro-projects with low-income families.
Our vision is to provide both children and their families with the tools they need to develop their skill set so that they can create their own future and end the cycle of poverty that currently resides in Trujillo.
Our volunteer philosophy is different from most Western non-profits. While we operate with the help of international volunteers, we seek to create a space in which our Young Leaders, the Peruvian youth, and our volunteers are equal. Both groups participate in a cultural intercambio, or exchange, by learning from one another. Our volunteers teach workshops with our Young Leaders, helping them to master new skills and abilities. In turn, our Young Leaders teach our volunteers all about the cultural richness that Peru has to offer - after all, they are the experts! It is our belief that by focusing on self-esteem building and empowerment with youth we can help equip our Young Leaders with the confidence and positive self-image needed to take control of their own futures, and to be the next generation of change-makers in their own communities.
We are always looking for passionate individuals to come and join our exciting team in Peru!
Being a volunteer here is an incredibly rewarding experience and a unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children and their families here in Trujillo. You will work with an official NGO, dedicated teachers and educators that have now served the community for years. We see volunteers as crucial to the success of our organization, as our volunteer teachers provide children with the necessary tools to build their self-esteem and confidence through our educational programs and workshops in the Alto Trujillo district on a daily basis. The teaching programs take place for three and half hours each day from 9-12:30, Monday - Friday, in Alto Trujillo. The curriculum integrates self-esteem workshops with English language and comprehension.
As a Volunteer Teacher, you will be expected to:
- teach English classes Monday to Friday to children in a local school;
- take part in extracurricular activities that include sightseeing, camping, dance classes, sandboarding and surfing lessons, weekly family dinners and weekend trips;
- spend time with children and low-income families in our various local workshops and projects;
- be an responsible ambassador for the organization
- be passionate and enthusiastic!
The teaching programs take place each day from 7.30-12:30, Monday - Friday, in Alto Trujillo. The curriculum integrates self-esteem workshops with English language and comprehension.
- Minimum commitment of one month in Peru - essential
- English fluency - essential
- Basic level of Spanish.
- Positive attitude and adaptable.
- Experience teaching and/or working with groups of children.
- High school diploma.
- An engaging personality with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Open-minded and driven.
- Ability to work with a team.
- First Aid certificate not required but preferred.
- Experience of living and working in Latin America not required but preferred.
Volunteers can choose to live with a host family or at our volunteer house. All accommodations include a private room, WiFi, kitchen access and hot water.
The volunteering cost is $280 for 4 weeks.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH US
* The chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community.
* Accommodation in the volunteer house or with a host family.
* Induction to the organization and to the specific role in the program
* Support in the form of regular supervision and members’ meetings as well as informal sessions
* An opportunity to gain experience in a grass roots organization working directly in the community
* We can help arrange Spanish, surfing, bachata and salsa lessons if requested
* We organize outdoor activities a least one or two times a month for integration of the organization members, such as: camping, visit to touristic places, beaches, sandboarding, short and long trips, etc.
* A confirmation of volunteer service document at the end of the volunteering period
Our latest partnership with Concrete Jungle Foundation is an After-School program run by volunteers from LCQC that promote positive relationships, self-esteem and school attendance among kids who regularly miss class through skateboarding.
La Comunidad que Construimos is a registered Peruvian non-profit NGO (no. 20559969461) and is based in Trujillo on the coast of Northern Peru.
Check out our website for more info about joining our dedicated team!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi
We'll work with your schedule.
Avenida Gonzalez PradaTrujillo, Peru
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum 4 weeks