Volunteer ESL Teacher
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where31-09 Newtown AvenueSuite 411Astoria, NY 11102
The Center for the Integration & Advancement of New Americans (CIANA) is a social services organization that works to integrate new immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America into the socio-economic and civic life of American society while maintaining pride in their cultural heritage.
CIANA is seeking a volunteer teacher for our English as a Second Language classes, offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 AM to 12 PM. We have a diverse client population of Arabic, Spanish, and Bengali speakers. Our fall semester runs from September 12 to November 16, 2017, with the expectation that the volunteer will teach for all 10 weeks.
- Write and deliver English lessons that incorporate reading, writing, speaking, and listening components based on a curriculum
- Provide life skills and practical English in a fun and accessible way
- Collaborate with ESL coordinator to assess students’ progress, needs, and feedback about instruction
- Highly organized and motivated to help students achieve their goals
- Possesses a growth-mindset and utilizes constructive feedback
- Is a dynamic and interactive communicator
- Engages with and is respectful of cultural differences
- Fluency in another language (especially Spanish, Arabic, or Bengali) is a big plus!
Students enrolled in a TESOL program or retired teachers are encouraged to apply. Prior experience is not necessary but is preferred. Training will be provided for the right candidates.
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Tuesday and Thursdays from 10:30 am - 12 pm
- Must be available from Sept 12-Nov 16, 2017