10 people are interested
The Nature Guides at Fern Hollow is an organization of volunteers who work with elementary school children in the Sewickley area. It was founded with the intention of teaching children to look at and appreciate the natural world around them. Volunteers are recruited and trained by Fern Hollow staff and other guides. To become a Nature Guide, you only need to be willing to give some of your time to teaching children about the world of nature. Since you will be working with Training sessions and orientations are held during the season to acquaint guides with the materials and the curriculum plan.
Clearances are required.
PA State Criminal History
PA Child Abuse
The walk season covers six to eight weeks each fall and spring. Children are taken into the field to study topics such as seasonal changes, plants, birds, insects, creek habitat and even maple sugaring. Walks take place at Walker Park, Morrow-Pontefract Park (by the Giant Eagle), Sewickley Heights Borough Park and Fern Hollow Nature Center. PowerPoint or video presentations are given in the schools prior to the walk to give the children some background in the subject to be covered.
No previous experience is required - we will teach you everything you need to know. During your training as a volunteer Nature Guide you will:
* Attend an orientation where we will introduce you to the programs.
* Receive background material on the nature walks of your choice and have the opportunity to review the video or PowerPoint presentations that precede each walk.
* Shadow experienced Nature Guides as they lead children on one of our nature walks.
* Learn teaching techniques and gain practical experience in leading small groups of 7 to 9 children.
Once you have completed training, we ask that you lead at least 2 walks per season. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to work with children while becoming more familiar with the natural history of our community.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
1901 Glen Mitchell RdSewickleySewickley, PA 15143
- Outdoor Recreation
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- Orientation or Training
- Clearances are required. PA State Criminal History and PA Child Abuse