Volunteers in the Featured Hall share science in the context of a regularly changing exhibit. Volunteers facilitate science demonstrations and activities as well as assist on the exhibit floor with visitor needs and inquiries. Due to the changing nature of the hall, duties may vary considerably between exhibits. Below is a description of volunteer responsibilities for our upcoming exhibit, Pompeii, running June 24 - October 22, 2017.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Facilitate Pompeii activities and demonstrations for children and adults. Demonstrations cover a range of topics, including archeology, geology, volcanology, ancient culture, and history.
- Rotate through stations managing the exhibit introductory video, Eruption Theater, and gallery spaces.
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from the Pompeii exhibit.
- Assist staff in the development, safety, and maintenance of the hall.
This hall provides an exciting, evolving, and changing environment. Volunteers will experience OMSI and science from an insider's perspective!
- Skillful in facilitating exhibits and translating scientific information in an age-appropriate manner.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater, and planetarium shows as well as submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet new people and learn more about science and OMSI.
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4 hours shifts per month for 9 months
- OMSI Submarine Tour Guide...
- Volunteer Services Internship
- OMSI Featured Exhibits Guest...
- OMSI Submarine Queuing Volunteer
- OMSI Guest Services Greeter (18+)
- OMSI Camp Kitchen Volunteer -...
- OMSI Food Science Volunteer (18+)
- OMSI Physics Lab Volunteer (age...
- OMSI Early Childhood Education...
- OMSI Chemistry Lab Volunteer...
- OMSI Shift Captain Volunteer -...
- OMSI Science Educator Volunteer
- OMSI Special Event Volunteer (18+)
- OMSI Featured Exhibits Hall...
- Volunteer Services Intern
- OMSI Earth Science Hall...