OMSI Featured Exhibits Hall Interpreter – Discoveries of King Tut
11 people are interested
position summary: Volunteers in the Featured Hall share science in the context of a regularly changing exhibit. Volunteers facilitate science demonstrations and activities as well as assist on the exhibit floor with visitor needs and inquiries. Due to the changing nature of the hall, duties may vary considerably between exhibits. Below is a description of volunteer responsibilities for our current exhibit, The Discovery of King Tut, on view at OMSI October 6, 2018 - January 27, 2019.
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Facilitate King Tut activities and demonstrations for children and adults. Demonstrations could cover a range of topics including archaeology, history, biology, and anthropology.
- Facilitate the exhibit introductory theater and accompany visitors through timed experiences.
- Rotate through stations managing specific gallery spaces.
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from the King Tut exhibit.
- Assist staff in the development, safety, and maintenance of the hall.
This hall provides an exciting, evolving, and changing environment. Volunteers will experience OMSI and science from an insider's perspective!
- Skillful in facilitating exhibits and translating scientific information in an age-appropriate manner.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training, professional development opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater, and planetarium shows as well as submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet new people and learn more about science and OMSI.
OMSI1945 SE Water AvePortland, OR 97214
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4 hours shifts per month for 6 months