Students from all over the region will be attending the 2017 Civil War Hands On History Days at Midway Village Museum.
We are expecting hundreds of students to attend this four day event and need volunteers to make it a great experience for everyone.
Volunteers will assist with things like greeting, selling pop and other duties as needed.
Dates and times available to volunteer include:
- Tuesday, May 2nd from 8:45am-2pm
- Wednesday, May 3rd from 8:45am-2pm
- Thursday, May 4th from 8:45am-2pm
- Fridy, May 5th from 8:45am-2pm
Here is a little more information on the event:
This award-winning educational event is specially designed to meet the curriculum standards for students in grades 5th through 8 th. Midway Village Museum’s campus makes this an exceptional field trip destination with more than 25 historic buildings and from 40 to 50 different living history sites offered each day, plus Headliner presentations from famous figures such as Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Groups will visit the sites that they choose.
Examples of sites that students can visit:
- Meet famous figures - President & Mrs. Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, General U. S. Grant and many others
- Experience being a soldier, including marching and drilling
- Learn Civil War era artillery drills
- Talk to soldiers from both the North and the South
- Learn about fashion of the 1860s
- Square dance in a barn hayloft
- Sing along to popular music of the times
- Visit the 1850s Barn to learn about the Underground Railroad
- Experience school lessons in a one room schoolhouse
- Learn about the art of blacksmithing
- Meet lady spies for both the North and the South
- Learn about Civil War doctors and medicine
- Practice drills with wooden sabre swords
- And much, much more!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment