The Gorilla Foundation / Koko.org
Position: Volunteer Membership Coordinator
The Gorilla Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, protection and well-being of gorillas and other great apes through interspecies communication research and education. Established in 1976, TGF is best known for "Project Koko," the longest interspecies communication study in history and the only one involving gorillas - during which Koko has become an ambassador for great apes and a "Voice for Nature."
We are looking for volunteers to assist us at our business office (Redwood City) with Gorilla Foundation membership management, via mail, email and phone correspondences. Your service will help us raise funds more efficiently in order to transmit Koko’s legacy as an ambassador for her species to the next generation.
Available Responsibilities (based on skills and interests):
- Fulfillment of orders placed on our online store: koko.org/kokomart
- Fulfillment of donor thank-you and outreach letters, and membership materials
- Management of email and phone correspondences from members and the public
- Help with social media and web postings on Koko’s Facebook, Twitter and web site
- Reviewing, editing and answering letters to prospective donors, donors and partners
- Database administration (if interested and have some experience)
- Help with multimedia (photo and video) selection and rating
(Please note that we do NOT currently have any volunteer opportunities
that involve direct contact with the gorillas.)
- A strong interest in The Gorilla Foundations work and mission
- Attention to detail
- Reliable - learning new tasks, completing projects to specs, asking questions
- Basic Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Email, learning new apps
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum commitment of 6 months
- Available one day a week for a four hour shift between 9 am and 4 pm
- Must be at least 18 years old
How to Apply:
1) a Cover letter summarizing your experience, interests, reasons for wanting to volunteer, questions about the position, and your availability),
2) a Resume of work, volunteer and educational experience
3) List of 2-3 professional and/or volunteer-related references
4) A 1-2 paragraph essay on "What Koko Means to Me"
All attachments MUST be in either Word or PDF format.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Gorilla Foundation’s cause!
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Human Resources Assistance
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment