This position is for the summer season at Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge( May - October) for a resident volunteer couple living in a Recreational Vehicle during the volunteer term. This opportunity will primarily consist of Visitor Service duties associated with visitors to Three Sisters Springs, a unit of the Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge.
The successful canidates will assist with our boardwalk interpertation program. Volunteers will work a schedule of three eight-hour days per person for a total of 24 hours per week (per person).
The volunteer will be the public face of the Refuge. They will interact with visitors on the Boardwalk at Three Sisters Springs, providing information about the Refuge, the refuge system, manatees, birds, fish, vegetation, springs and wetlands.
- Greet visitors
- Answer visitors’ questions about manatees, birds and other wildlife, vegetation, the spring system, the swim with program and general information about the area
- Identify mammals, birds, fish and vegetation that are found at TSS
- Present information about the Refuge and the US Fish & Wildlife Service
- Report violations/accidents/injuries to Law Enforcement/Volunteer Coordinator
- Provide information on other recreation activities that are available
- Report any damage to the Boardwalk , safety hazards or injuries to Volunteer Coordinator
- Assure the cleanliness of the boardwalk during their tenure on the boardwalk
- Be knowledgeable and accurate in information imparted or know to say "I don’t know but, I can find out" when they do not have an answer
- Ability to work well with the concessionaires, boat captains, and other volunteers
- Recording of volunteer time. Time sheet provided
- Other duties as assigned
Ability to address small groups in public
Pleasant manner, multi-tasking and problem-solving ability, dependability, a general knowledge of the area, wildlife and springs. Volunteer must complete necessary training for this duty.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Reading Comprehension
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- 24 hours per week.( 3 eight hour days)