Description: Norfolk Botanical Garden is looking for a qualified intern to join our Adult Education team. Our Adult Education department provides quality educational programs for our guests, and seeks an intern who can participate in our Educational Docent Program in our Butterfly House.
This intern should be prepared to work in a customer service-based environment, and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of Biological Sciences; Education; Communications; Parks, Recreation and Tourism or related fields.
At the end of the internship, the Intern will understand and develop skillsets with regard to:
1) customer service and public speaking
2) the development and verbal/visual delivery of educational programs.
3) the structure and functionality of a special event within the educational outreach and tourism industry.
4) the collection, preservation and study of Virginia’s native butterfly population.
- Greet the guests entering the house and lead tours educating the public on the lifecycle of butterflies.
- Collect and preserve butterfly eggs for study, preservation and fostering.
- Assist the Volunteer Coordinator with recruiting and training volunteers for the Butterfly House.
- Assist Volunteer Coordinator with developing and maintaining Butterfly House educational program.
- Direct the visitors to the appropriate resource for questions you cannot answer utilizing a radio.
- Assist staff with planning and implementation for two special events: Butterfly Festival in July and Monarch Tag and Release in September.
- Other duties as assigned.
Norfolk Botanical Garden is looking for an undergraduate student in the Hampton Roads area who is majoring in Biological Sciences; Education; Communications; Parks, Recreation and Tourism or related fields. This person should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with heavy emphasis in customer service. Knowledge or interest of biological sciences is a bonus, and will be considered when choosing the best applicant for this internship position.
- Must be comfortable speaking to individuals and groups.
- Able to work outside and stand for the entire shift in high heat, humidity and light rain.
- Able to walk to and from the Butterfly House to the parking lot; approximately ¼ of a mile.
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 25 pounds required.
- Strong interest in butterflies and other pollinators.
- Customer service experience.
Dates: June 4th - September 24, 2017. Dates flexible to accommodate school requirements.
Hours: Maximum 20 hours per week, weekend and evening work required.
Internship Duration: 25 hrs per week for 16 weeks; approximately 400 hrs total
Salary: Unpaid Internship
Reports to: Lauren Tafoya, Butterfly House Manager
Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com to apply.
- Adult Education
- Public Speaking
- Public Relations
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- NBG works with the applicant's schedule.
- Must be capable of working outdoors in hot, humid conditions for sustained periods of time.