Safe Passage’s Child Advocacy
Center (CAC) Internship Program
Brief Description of CAC Services
The Child Advocacy Center (CAC) of York County is a non-profit child abuse evaluation and treatment center. The CAC is aimed to be child-centered and to prevent children from being re-victimized.
Services provided include victim advocacy and therapy for children and non-offending family members and forensic interviews. These services are provided free of charge.
Staff members at the CAC collaborate with investigators of many disciplines. This multidisciplinary team approach brings together under one umbrella the professionals and agencies needed to offer comprehensive services: law enforcement, child protective services, juvenile court, the solicitor’s office, mental health professionals, and the medical community.
This is done in efforts to increase communication between investigating parties and reduce duplication of services.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Currently completing or completed Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Complete and submit application and resume.
- Completion of interview with CAC Director.
- Completion of 15 hours Volunteer Training Program.
- Completion of shadowing of Forensic Coordinator and Child Advocacy staff.
- Completion of orientation/training in Safe Passage’s Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Programs.
- Ability to remain non-judgmental and non-directive.
- Advocacy skills for victims in crisis, particularly children.
- Signing and adhering to confidentiality pledge.
- Access to reliable transportation and phone service.
- Adherence to the philosophy, goals and policies of Safe Passage.
- National child abuse and criminal clearances.
- Prior experience or desire to work with children.
Internship Responsibilities (Please note internship responsibilities span in several areas and are subject to change).
- Greet families upon their arrival to the Child Advocacy Center.
- Have caregiver fill out necessary paperwork upon arrival.
- Assist children before, during and after forensic interview.
- Assist forensic interviewer where help is needed throughout interview process.
- Attend Quarterly meetings of volunteer staff.
- Contact supervisor regarding mandated reports of child abuse or suicide attempts.
- Crisis intervention by answering phone calls. Record those calls accurately on crisis-call forms. Place crisis calls forms in appropriate place.
- Watch recordings of forensic interviews and create a well-written, grammar free reports in efforts to disperse to investigating parties.
- Maintain all CAC related forms are available for staff use. Doing this by checking area where blank forms are kept and creating copies if needed.
- Other Administrative duties as needed.
- Presenting on CAC related topics to community members (ex: churches, Winthrop, etc) as needed and based on intern’s availability. Completing presentation evaluations after each presentation.
- Assisting CAC staff in planning, managing, and executing any CAC related fundraising events.
Please note:Safe Passage serves three separate community populations, it is the Sexual Assault Resource Center, Domestic Violence Agency, and Child Advocacy Center. Therefore, staff as well as interns may wear more than one hat. Interns must be willing to venture outside of their normal duties if needed.
Rules of Conduct
Safe Passage’s staff is committed to providing rising professionals with opportunities for learning and professional growth. Safe Passage expects high standards from students in the Internship Program. Students are considered representatives of Safe Passage upon accepting internship position. Expectations for Staff Conduct Include:
- Professional Manner and Dress: This includes prompt arrival, appropriate dress, and corresponding with clients and staff in a professional manner.
- Confidentiality: respecting professional boundaries and the client’s rights to interact with the agency in a confidential and safe environment.
- Initiative: Seeking direction, guidance or supervision when needed and being proactive in seeking educational opportunities during schedule internship hours.
- Attending scheduled CAC staff and MDT meetings.
- Child Development
- Crisis Intervention
- Crisis Counseling
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training