Are you a walking enthusiast with a gift for gab? Are you a master of social media and storytelling? Then this is the volunteer opportunity for you! Join Oregon Walks as our new communications assistant today!
We’re looking for a part-time, ongoing volunteer to help tell our story about our work and support our communications strategy. This position is a good fit for individuals skilled in interviewing, researching, collecting quotes, and writing compelling content for blogs, social media, and campaigns.
Oregon Walks is the state’s pedestrian advocacy non-profit, working to ensure walking is safe, convenient and fun through pedestrian safety education, community-based engagement programing and collaborative advocacy campaigns.
Benefits of This Volunteer Role:
- Support Oregon Walks’ work while building your resume and while growing own communication skills.
- Develop understanding of transportation issues and community engagement
- Help increase Oregon Walks’ capacity to promote safe walking throughout the Portland metropolitan region.
Volunteer Role and Responsibilities:
- Attend Oregon Walks and related public events, collecting quotes and photos to use in social media and blog posts.
- Interview transportation professionals, elected officials, municipal staff, volunteers, and various members of our community.
- Help ensure information on our website is accurate and up-to-date.
- Profile avid walkers about their favorite walks.
- Other writing assignments that the volunteer may be asked to take on, including profiling a neighborhood, covering a campaign or another feature story.
- Interest in healthy communities and social equity;
- Excellent verbal communication skills (Many of our families use English as their second language and will need to use a translator);
- Exceptional writing skills and a firm grasp of the English language, spelling, and punctuation; Knowledge of the AP style guide;
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for storytelling;
- Basic photography skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Word;
- Proficient in social media platforms;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Detail-oriented, motivated, reliable and creative.
Time Commitment: 1-3 hours a month, as needed; schedule is flexible, dependent on volunteer’s availability and Oregon Walks’ events.
Attendance at quarterly communications committee meetings preferred (last Monday every 3 rd month).
Reports to: Executive Director & Volunteer Coordinator
To Apply: Send cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- People Skills
- Social Media / Blogging
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 1-3 hours a month, as needed
- Excellent verbal communication skills, Exceptional writing skills