Volunteer Lead Teachers work closely with the Summer Literacy Program Coordinator and team of supporting volunteers to provide relevant and effective lessons and activities for beginner level refugee students. Lead teachers are responsible for welcoming students in the mornings, leading beginner literacy lessons, being involved with activities, games, snack times, and supporting any needs that arise for program efficiency. Trainings and Evaluation Meetings are also valuable aspects of being a Lead Teacher.
The Summer Literacy Program runs from Monday to Thursday, 8:30am-1:00pm.
- Experience in education OR Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s of Master’s degree (Education, ESL/TESOL, related field).
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to work with children of all ages (K-12).
- Self-motivation to identify and aid students in their educational needs.
- Ability to lead a team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commit to volunteering consistently on a weekly basis
- Lead 4 to 10 students in a group
- Providing reading, writing, and speaking direction to students
- Engaging students in learning activities such as games, puzzles, projects, creative assignments, worksheets, or any other appropriate activities
- Work with staff to identify, advocate for, and work on student’s educational needs
- Report progress and/or issues of concern to team leader and program coordinator
- Demonstrate teamwork and integrity with staff, fellow volunteers, students, and their families
- Build relationships with students on a weekly basis
- Ensure a safe and clean learning environment through assisting with after-program clean up
- Attend required trainings
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours once a week plus training and meetings
- Spend your Summer Helping...
- Case File Volunteer
- Data Entry Intern/ Volunteer
- Tutor Refugee Children With Us!
- Do you have teaching experience?...
- We need Volunteer Drivers!
- Help Refugee Kids walk and bus...
- Volunteer Services Intern Staff
- Do you speak another language?...
- Be a peer support mentor to...