Job Summary - The Intern will assist case managers in all resettlement activities, systems navigation, and access to benefits for recently- arrived refugees in Virginia.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist and accompany clients to various appointments including but not limited to: employment, medical appointments, school enrollments, immunization appointments, ESL class enrollments
- Assist setting up apartments for newly arriving refugees
- Provide assistance to case managers in meeting clients at airport when they first arrive and transport them to their new home
- Assist with conducting transportation, culture, and/or employment orientations
- Perform orientations on safety, health and hygiene
- Assist clients to get services from local social service offices and public assistance
- Assist R&P case manager with maintenance of case files
- Show clients how to use public transportation
- Assist with other related duties as assigned
- College degree or perusing an undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, social work, law/justice, human rights, language or related field required
- Previous experience working in multicultural contexts is desirable
- An interest in international and refugee issue
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and process unexpected tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Proficiency in one or more language other than English is preferable
- Having personal car or access to a car is HIGHLY DESIRABLE
- Understanding of the timelines and processes refugees go through.
- Increased intercultural communication competency
- Exposure to basic non-profit operations and environment
- Knowledge of marginalized populations - challenges and opportunities
- Experience working with limited English proficiency populations
- Knowledge of refugee benefits systems
- Ability to navigate of social service systems
- Basic ability to keep case notes and maintain case files to State Department standards.
At least 2 full days a week
Please submit a (1) cover letter and (2) resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are considered on a first come, first served rolling basis.
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- minimum 2 days per week, up to 5 days