Inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold this summer as a Program Assistant Volunteer in our STEM based Eureka! Program at Girls Inc. of Metro Denver!
Provide proactive classroom support and assistance to Girls Inc. STEM instructors who facilitate curriculum to rising 8th and 9th grade girls.
Program Description The Girls Inc. Eureka!(r) program is an intensive, 5-year STEM based program that builds girls’ confidence and skills through hands-on opportunities in math, science, technology, sports, and careers. Serving girls from across the DenverMetro area, Eureka!(r) aims to increase girls’ future options for academic achievement and careers, to encourage enrollment in college-bound math and science courses, to promote positive risk-taking, and to assist girls in developing networks of peers and mentors to support their future endeavors. Summer 2017 is Year 2 of this program, in which we’ll be instructing Rookies and Vets (60 girls).
- Assist instructors who STEM-based pro-girl activities!
- Supervise girls in yoga and kickboxing classes.
- Work as a team with girls Inc. instructors and other volunteers.
- Help instructors prep class materials (create flip charts, get handouts ready, collect and organize paperwork, etc.)
- Maintain a safe and fun environment for girls on a university campus. Monitor disciplinary matters as needed.
- Lead occasional warm up and ice breaker activities.
- Travel with girls to the pool at North High on our shuttles/vans.
- Engage with girls during unstructured time, initiate conversations and attend to emotional/social needs as they come up.
- Other duties as assigned
- Proactive, outgoing, enthusiastic and dependable.
- Experience working with teens preferred but not required.
- Ability to facilitate various activities with girls ages 13-15.
- Ability to be physically active with girls in kickboxing and yoga classes. English/Spanish Bilingual skills strongly preferred.
- Demonstrate commitment to the mission, vision, and advocacy statements of Girls Inc. of Metro Denver.
- Experience in and appreciation for urban communities, diverse populations, cultures and economic experiences.
- Exhibit commitment to social justice and an anti-oppression analysis.
- Inspire, stimulate and support self-empowerment among girls.
- Have knowledge of youth development and gender specific programming strategies.
- Must be able to regularly communicate by e-mail.
Eureka!(r) takes place in June 2017. A variety of options are available but we ask for a minimum of 1 full day per week or 2 half days a week.
- Morning classes are STEM-related (agriculture, biotech, computer science, aerospace engineering, energy, communications, architecture)
- Afternoon classes include social justice, sexual health, swimming, yoga, kickboxing, leadership development and substance abuse prevention.
Volunteers can choose from the following shifts options:
- Morning Shift... 8:30am-1:30pm (5 hours)
- Afternoon Shift... 12:30-5:30pm (5 hours)
- All-day Shift... 8:30am-5:30pm with a 1 hour break (8 hours)
Shifts are the same 1 or 2 days for all 4 weeks of Eureka! programs. Programs run from Monday-Friday.
Applicants should be able to commit to the entire month of the program. We ask that if applicants are expecting more than 3 days of absences, or similarly cannot commit to the end of summer, to consider school-year volunteering instead.
To Apply:Submit an online volunteer application:
http://www.girlsincdenver.org/volunteer-application.html and indicate that you are applying for a 'Eureka! Program Assistant’ position in the dropdown menu.
Required Trainings: New Eureka! Volunteer Orientation and Inclusiveness Training: Saturday, June 3, 2017 from 8:00am-4:00pm
Thank you for understanding that we do not make exceptions to this being a required training. This training is by invite only and will take place on Metro State’s campus at the Student Academic Success Center, Building 230. A light breakfast and full lunch will be provided.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training