Low income children who are eligible to receive a free lunch at school each day often go hungry when school is out during the summer. Volunteer with Lunch at the Library to help ensure that children don't go hungry during summer months. Develop workforce-readiness skills in areas such as food handling and customer service. Meet others who share your interests and concerns about our community.
Available during lunch time hours during the week
Enjoy working with children
Physical ability to help set up, count and serve lunches, monitor and clean up before, during and after lunch a minimum of 6 times over the summer on dates of your choosing
Willing to undergo a background check (ages 18 & up), since you will be working with children
- Select a minimum of six 1.5 hour shifts on summer Mondays through Fridays - shift times will fall between 11:45 am to 1:45 pm.
- On days you have volunteered for a shift, you will assist with set up, counting and serving lunches, monitoring children during lunch, and cleanup. If lunch is delayed for some reason, you may be prepared to "entertain" children by reading with or to them, or even doing small crafts.
- Attend a one-hour orientation in early June. Since it is a joint project of the library and a federally funded program, you will be expected to learn and follow all federal guidelines and library/city/county regulations and procedures to avoid jeopardizing continued funding of the program.
- Food Service
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5 hour summer weekday lunchtime shifts
- Available during lunchtime hours in June and July; enjoy working with children; physical ability to