SEHC Volunteer Clinical Scribe
208 people are interested
Volunteering as a scribe is an excellent way to gain experience in a clinical setting. Southeast Health Center is a safety-net clinic in the Bayview-Hunter's Point neighborhood of San Francisco. We provide top quality primary care to one of the most underserved patient populations in the city. Many of our scribes have gone on to pursue degrees in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and public health. We feel that the experience of scribing in the SF Health Network is unique in 3 main ways:
1.) We serve the city's most underserved patient populations, so our scribes learn quickly the importance of empathy in the patient-provider relationship.
2.) Our health centers run specialized clinics, including ones for patients transitioning from incarceration, patients with HIV, and patients with diabetes. Scribing in these clinics gives students the chance to learn about the particular challenges involved in caring for each of these especially vulnerable patient populations.
3.) Scribes are rarely used in a primary care setting like our health centers, so scribing here gives students a unique view into the life of a primary care provider. There is a shortage of primary care providers in our healthcare system, and we hope to inspire the next generation of pre-health students to fill this need.
* Work alongside providers to help document patient visits in the electronic medical record
* Record patient histories and physical examinations,
* Do dictation of providers' assessments
* Protect patient confidentiality
* Perform various other duties to help support our team of MD and NP providers
* Ability to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
* Desire to serve underserved patient populations
* Familiarity with computers
* Excellent communication skills
* We are open Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00
* There are 2 sessions per day (AM session from 8:00-12:00 and PM session from 1:00-5:00)
* We require volunteers to scribe for at least 2 sessions per week
If interested, please leave a comment on Volunteer Match and send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
2401 Keith St.San Francisco, CA 94124
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 8 hours/wk after completion of training