Save Austin history by volunteering with the Austin History Center! The Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to our history.
Archives: Volunteers organize, describe, preserve and promote local history materials. Duties involve archival arrangement and description, research, cataloging, filing, preservation work ranging from photocopying to more advanced treatments, data entry and use of audio/video programs and equipment. Work is best suited for detail-oriented individuals. Most positions require previous archives experience or coursework. Shifts vary in length and are once per week. Minimum 3 month commitment (24 hours) required unless otherwise noted. The Austin History Center is not open to the public on Mondays.
- Austin History Center-Manuscript Collections: Volunteer needed to process the archival manuscript collections. Experience creating and reading archival finding aids (including EAD) required. Strong organizational, research, and writing skills required. 1 volunteer needed.
Collections Volunteers will work with specific parts of these collections to process the materials and to update the records used to track and provide access to them. Volunteers should have experience creating and reading archival finding aids (including EAD) and have strong organizational, research, and writing skills. We have three openings:
- Manuscript Collections
- Family Collections
Volunteers should have proficiency with computers/technology, knowledge of styles (Chicago, MLA) and bibliographic documentation, and experience with archival resources or a specific collection type.
This position requires volunteers to use various office equipment and computers; and to lift, push, or pull up to 40 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
Shifts of 2-10 hours per week can be scheduled during open hours (Tues-Sat 10am-6p/Sun 12p-6p) and we ask for a minimum 6 month commitment.Contact the Volunteer Services Division at APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov or check out other volunteer opportunities at Library.Austintexas.gov/volunteer/opportunities.
- Library Sciences
- Critical Thinking
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 2-10 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Boost Sustainability in Austin!...
- Coach Kids in a Computer Lab!
- Love kids? Love the New Central...
- Help the Community Access...
- Help someone improve their...
- Like kids? Help out your local...
- Help the Austin Public Library...
- Want to teach and play Minecraft...
- Share Your Love for the Library!...
- Love the New Central Library?...
- Help Preserve Austin's History!