Thank you for your interest in applying to be a volunteer counselor at MDA Summer Camp, otherwise known as "the best week of the year"!
Alabama’s MDA Summer Camp is Saturday, June 24 th (arrive that afternoon for training) to Friday, June 30 th. Our volunteer counselors are paired one on one with a camper with a neuromuscular disease.
MDA Summer Camp? One Week in the Summer? Why would I want to do this?
Here are just a few reasons:
- 120 hours of volunteer and community service
- The opportunity to shadow at one of five neuromuscular and multidisciplinary clinics at UAB- which includes Neurology, Pulmonary, Respiratory, Social Work, Rehabilitation Physicians (including the only 3 board certified licensed rehabilitation physicians in the state of Alabama), Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Genetics, Nutrition, Nursing and many more.
- Looks amazing on a resume to show involvement with special needs children, especially when applying for internships and employment.
- The ability to create relationships with individuals on our MDA Summer Camp Medical Team and MDA Clinic Care Team within UAB and Children’s of Alabama. These professionals have been references, mentors, and advisors to many of our students.
- Provides actual hands on experience in providing care, physical therapy, medical needs, and personal care. The honor of taking care of a child with special needs, as this is only given to those volunteers of the highest caliber.
- Lastly, to help one child have the most incredible week of their lives!!
Still interested? Click on this link to fill out an online application:
- That link will take you to a page with the header "MDA Camp at Easter Seals/Camp ASCCA - Volunteer Counselor".
- Under that, you will click on the button that says "Register for this Session".
- There, you will create an account.
- Once your account is created, please continue to fill out the application.
- When you are finished with the application, you will receive a confirmation email with next steps and you will be contacted shortly after to set up an interview.
Please note the following important details:
- All spaces must be filled out with information or with "NA".
- Please be specific and include specific details when asked.
- You are required to have 3 references (professional and/or character references). You must enter email addresses for all 3 references. Please make sure these references are aware that they will receive an email to complete your reference (and have them check their spam folder if they do not receive the email).
If you know of anyone else interested in applying to be a counselor, please send them this information or have them contact us at (205) 823-8191. We are always in need of male counselors as most of our campers are boys, so please send any interested guys our way (we can take a very small amount of counselors ages 16 & 17)!
We look forward to receiving your application and hope to speak with you soon!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- 6 days
- HIPPA Training, Face to Face Interview, Physical Evaluation, Up to Date Vaccinations, References