Studio Assistant - Creative Arts/STEM
18 people are interested
Not just amazing, but glorious, unplanned, open-ended, child directed exploration happens when we make, create & tinker in The Studio. The Studio fosters creativity, curiosity, and imagination through arts and maker activities using real tools. We provide the supplies, and visitors use their creativity to make whatever they would like.
Studio Assistant volunteers assist visitors with informal creative arts, STEM/Maker, and sensory activities in the Studio. We are currently playing with the theme of Upcycle Recycle - including making a collaborative cardboard city. Past activities have included paper arts, mosaics, clay, kinetic sand, and sewing. We also have Teaching Artists on a scheduled basis that create special art activities with our visitors.
What this role involves:
- Welcome visitors with warmth and friendliness and provide exceptional customer service
- Actively invite visitors to explore the materials
- Introduce activities and interact with visitors as they engage with materials and tools
- Assist with supply prep and set up, monitor and clean up supplies
- Encourage visitors to follow Museum policies and procedures
- As available, assist special Teaching Artists in educational activities
Who We're Looking For:
We are looking for people who are passionate about working with young children and their adult caregivers and who are interested in assisting with fun educational activities. This role is best for people who have a love for art and open-ended creative expression, and who would enjoy the opportunity to become an expert in the Studio activities. It’s a good fit for people who enjoy more extended one-on-one interactions with visitors and like working with people from a variety of ages and backgrounds.
The following skills and attributes are especially beneficial for this role:
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to tolerate loud, busy, or crowded situations
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Reliable and professional demeanor
- Previous experience with arts or STEM/Maker activities is a plus, but not required
This position requires a commitment of 1 shift per week for a minimum of 4 months. Morning and afternoon shifts will be available every day.
Interested? Contact Kathryn Wegler, Volunteer Services Coordinator, at 651-225-6046 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete our adult volunteer application: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=2001712070&OR=1
We'll work with your schedule.
10 West 7th StreetSaint Paul, MN 55102
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 shift per week for a minimum of 4 months