18 people are interested
Help Refugees Learn English
ORGANIZATION: Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
Please visit the new page to apply.
18 people are interested
Position Title: Volunteer ESL Classroom Aide/Tutor
Provide support to Catholic Charities English language instructors by working one-on-one or in small groups with adult ESL students to practice their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. Although we currently run sessions virtually, that is subject to change, thus we prefer volunteers who would be able to meet face-to-face as well. Training provided, which may include a session of in-classroom preparation before becoming a one-on-one or small group tutor.
If you are interested in connecting with us, please be sure to check your spam folder in your email for a follow up from us, as sometimes our company emails get automatically filtered as junk mail.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree or current enrollment in a Bachelor’s Program
- One year of teaching experience preferred but not required
- Clearances Required: State Police, FBI Criminal Background, and Child Abuse Clearances
- Fluency in the English language (no other languages required)
- Transportation to teaching site
- Participate in initial tutor training and attend ongoing professional development meetings
- Collaborate with ESL instructor to plan meaningful lessons for students
- Meet one-on-one or in small groups with learners for at least three hours a week
- Speak English during class time
- Provide a caring and non-threatening environment for learners
- Maintain a consistent weekly schedule and inform instructor if unable to attend
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Planning and Organizational Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
Location and Scheduling:
Volunteers are needed for morning classes Tuesdays (9:30-11:30 AM EST), and evening classes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (6:00 - 8:00 PM). Currently meet virtually, subject to change. Although our classes are currently offered virtually, we ask volunteers to be located within driving distance of our officeto expedite materials pick up, and in the event we start offering in-person classes once more.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
939 E Park Dr., Suite 102, Harrisburg, PA 17111, US
To help refugees and immigrants in the Harrisburg area find safety, peace, and fulfillment.
Immigration and Refugee Services is a Catholic Charities program located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We provide a wide range of social and educational services to immigrants, refugees, visitors, and non-English speakers. There are four main services provided by Immigration and Refugee Services: refugee resettlement, immigrant and refugee women empowerment, refugee job placement, and English as a Second Language courses. Services are offered free of charge to all individuals.
939 E Park Dr. Suite 102Harrisburg, PA 17111
March 1, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week, divided at the discretion of the small group.