8 people are interested
Help Refugees Learn English
ORGANIZATION: Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
Please visit the new page to apply.
8 people are interested
Position Title: Volunteer ESL Classroom Aide/Tutor
Provide support to Catholic Charities English language instructors by working one-on-one or in small groups with adult ESL students to practice their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree or current enrollment in a Bachelor’s Program
- One year of teaching experience preferred but not required
- Clearances Required: State Police, FBI Criminal Background, and Child Abuse Clearances
- Fluency in the English language (no other languages required)
- Transportation to teaching site
- Participate in initial tutor training and attend ongoing professional development meetings
- Collaborate with ESL instructor to plan meaningful lessons for students
- Meet one-on-one or in small groups with learners for at least three hours a week
- Speak English during class time
- Provide a caring and non-threatening environment for learners
- Maintain a consistent weekly schedule and inform instructor if unable to attend
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Planning and Organizational Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
Location and Scheduling:
Volunteers are needed for morning classes Tuesdays (9:30-11:30 AM), and evening classes Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (6:00 - 8:00 PM). Currently meet virtually, subject to change.
About Immigration and Refugee Services of Catholic Charities
939 E Park Dr., Suite 102, Harrisburg, PA 17111, US
To help refugees and immigrants in the Harrisburg area find safety, peace, and fulfillment.
Immigration and Refugee Services is a Catholic Charities program located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We provide a wide range of social and educational services to immigrants, refugees, visitors, and non-English speakers. There are four main services provided by Immigration and Refugee Services: refugee resettlement, immigrant and refugee women empowerment, refugee job placement, and English as a Second Language courses. Services are offered free of charge to all individuals.
939 E Park Dr. Suite 102Harrisburg, PA 17111
May 2, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training