The Autism Speaks Walk is the signature fundraising event of Autism Speaks. It is also the world’s largest fundraising event to support the diverse needs of the autism community. This grassroots movement is driven by volunteers and powered by love. Committee members and walkers generate funds that fuel innovative research and make connections to critical lifelong support and services.
Overview: The Team Retention Chair works with Autism Speaks staff to build relationships with last year’s Team Captains and increase their team revenue. The focus of this role is on recruiting former team captains, making sure they feel recognized, appreciated, and supported as they work towards achieving their team recruitment and fundraising goals. Each member of this committee has a "portfolio" of 2016 captains to recruit and then cultivate. The Team Kick-Off event is a key responsibility of this committee. The Team Retention Chair works closely with the Walk Chair and Team Recruitment Chair to maximize event fundraising revenue. This is a one-year term.
Volunteer Attributes: Experienced fundraiser, preferably someone who has served as an Autism Speaks Walk Team Captain in the past. Passionate about the cause, detail-oriented, able to multi-task, good communication skills, and able to meet goals and deadlines.
- Understand the mission of Autism Speaks.
- Understand the importance of fundraising for Autism Speaks.
- Serve for one year as the Team Retention Chair.
- Work with Walk Chair and Autism Speaks staff to implement the Walk as outlined in the Walk Manual.
Recruit, train, and manage a team retention subcommittee from top team captains, friends, relatives, business leaders, and students.
- Facilitate team retention committee meetings as needed.
- Work closely with the Team Recruitment Chair to share ideas and information.
- Be an expert on all fundraising and team resources and materials.
- Actively promote the incentive and recognition programs.
- Cultivate relationships with Team Captains.
- Call last year’s Team Captains and ask them to register.
- Lead by example and actively fundraise for the Walk.
- Mobilize personal network to participate in, volunteer for, and donate to the Walk.
- Delegate responsibilities as needed to ensure the success of the Walk.
- Recruit and mentor a Team Retention Chair successor.
Time Commitment: 9-12 months. Approximately 3-10 hours per month, as needed.
- Event Planning / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 9-12 months. 3-10 hours per month as needed.