Join our dynamic fast-paced team as a Farmers Market Volunteer. We are looking for responsible, dedicated, outgoing folks to assist with onsite food/booth preparation and demonstrations at the Farmers Market on Wednesdays.
Time Commitment: Minimum one Wednesday per month for 3 hours (8:30am-11:30am) to support onsite preparations for class visits at the Wednesday Farmers Market.
Education Volunteer Role includes any or all of the following responsibilities:
- Shop for produce at the Wednesday Downtown Farmers Market
- Assist in preparing samples and salads for market field trip classes to K-2nd grade students
- Assist in teaching / independently teaching 20-minute presentations to K-2nd grade students (up to 25 students per class, up to 3 classes per day)
- Assist in cleaning, breaking down booth, and making suggestions for following week’s class
- 18 years of age or above
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Responsible and reliable
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Enthusiasm for Farmers Markets, small farmers and locally grown produce, social media, marketing, education and environmental sustainability
- Background check required by City of Santa Monica for volunteers working directly with student visitors in the teaching capacity.
- Please explain why you want to volunteer with the Santa Monica Farmers Markets and what you hope to learn, gain, accomplish, as well as any particular skills and interests you hope to contribute.
- Please provide the dates, days and times you are available.
- Please provide 2 professional references names and phone numbers.
This is an unpaid volunteer position that requires a commitment of 1 day (3 hours) per month.
Please e-mail your interest to Rufiena Jones-Soro at firstname.lastname@example.org -- Re: Education Volunteer and include your resume, supplemental questions, and references.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Cooking / Catering
- Food & Beverage Services
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 Wednesday per month for 3 hours (8:30am-11:30am)