English At Large (EAL) provides free, practical, and accessible English language instruction to refugee and immigrant adults in 21 Boston area communities. Our vision is that newcomers to the United States will develop the English language skills and acquire the cultural knowledge they need to fully engage in their communities and fulfill their life goals.
EAL has a full-time office in Woburn MA with a limited staff that oversees the operation of over 500 learners, 200+ volunteers and tutors.
Volunteers will provide assistance to staff with special projects and general office duties.
- Understand the volunteer opportunity and organization before beginning the position
- Commit to one full term (1.5 - 2 hours per week, for 10 - 12 weeks each term, Flexible)
- Data entry assignments
- Phone banking- contact learners to know more about their questions, concerns and follow up to remind them of their responsibilities when needed
- Assist with volunteer orientation and training workshops as needed
- Assist with volunteer and learner background data sorting to help better serve learners- this augments phone banking and data entry responsibilities
- Contribute ideas and suggestions about the position- this is an open-ended opportunity to allow each volunteer’s personal skills to the best use of the organization
- Follow English At Large policies and procedures
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good computer literacy- Web, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Docs.
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and resourcefulness
- Some cross-cultural background or experience interacting with culturally diverse people
- Awareness and understanding of the needs of non-native speakers of English
- Personal satisfaction through the use of your skills to help others
- Achieve a broader cultural understanding
- Gain personal enrichment and knowledge through exposure to culturally diverse people
- Letter of reference available upon request
- Gain exposure to issues related to ESL, cross-cultural international relations and other related issues
- Get to know the wonderful EAL team and learn from their experience to deal with a diverse set of people and related challenges
- Data Entry
- Office Management
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training