AmeriCorps Member, Student Services Service Description:
Branches is a dynamic non-profit organization with the mission to serve, educate, and inspire people through student, family, and financial stability services in partnership with our communities. Our work makes a lasting impact in people's lives. Since 1973, Branches has partnered with community-based organizations, corporations, and congregations to develop ministries of compassion and justice. On an annual basis, we serve more than 500 students, our food pantries reach more than 11,000 people, and the United Way Center for Financial Stability (UWCFS), which we house and operate, educates hundreds of families.
AmeriCorps Members' Role
AmeriCorps Members bring a unique passion and commitment to our mission and the services we provide at our four locations: North Miami, North Miami Beach, South Miami and Florida City. They address the needs of students from low income communities and/or low performing schools to increase academic performance. To meet this need, they serve and engage children, youth, and families through educational activities in our Grow & Climb programs.
1) Grow Program - Serves elementary students preparing them for lifelong success through the enrichment of their minds, bodies, and hearts. Our engagement with the students begins after school with tutoring, homework help, and enrichment activities. Members also assist in the areas of: mentoring, leading enrichment activities (e.g. physical education, art, music, drama, etc.), and adding their own unique skills to extracurricular activities.
2) Climb Program - Serves middle and high school students focusing on helping them to become better students and community members. AmeriCorps members serving in this program serve by: mentoring, providing academic tutoring, leading life skills workshops, participating in service projects and retreats, serving as a guide for college discovery, and contributing their own unique skills to extracurricular activities.
AmeriCorps members serving in both programs also help lead a 6 week camp, called 'Summer Shade' during the summer months. The purpose of Summer Shade is to help prevent learning loss and provide a safe and fun environment for our students.
Our combined programs enhance students' lives by creating life-changing opportunities for them to become better educated and to make positive life choices based on three fundamental characteristics that shape our programs and define the experience for those who pass through our doors:
1) A place to Be Loved and to Be Known
2) A Cornerstone for Community
3) A time to Cultivate Opportunities to Learn and Grow
Terms: reliable transportation required, permits part-time school attendance during off hours, prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time, uniforms provided and required.
AmeriCorps Members will receive:
- $538 Bi-Weekly Living Allowance
- Health Benefits
- $5,815 Education Award (upon completion of the program year)
- Student Loan Deferment
- Food Stamps assistance (if eligible)
- Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
Education: Some college preferred
- Communication (written and verbal)
- Education, facilitation, tutoring, or teaching skills preferred
- Creole and Spanish speaking abilities preferred
- Cross-cultural sensitivity
- Passion for serving others
- Learning orientation along with flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to empathize and resolve difficult, stressful situations caused by the types of services we provide and the population we serve
- Ability or skills in handling fast-paced and changing conditions and work environments
- Resourcefulness in working with limited resources
- Problem solving, conflict resolution, and mentoring skills
Additional: Preferred candidates have had successful experiences in...
- Helping individuals, families, and communities in educational development services
- Non-profit or ministry settings
- Experience and/or knowledge in child tutoring techniques and/or education methodologies
- Literacy / Reading
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1700 Hours over 1 Year of Service
- Service-Oriented Mindset