Under the direction of the ESOL instructor, tutor an individual student during vocational English class for immigrants and refugees.
Classes are held on T/Th/F from 9:00-12:00
Volunteers can choose two or three days per week.
- Fluent in English and Arabic
- Related experience is welcome, but training will be provided.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Good communication skills.
- Empathy for the challenges of learning a new culture and a new language.
JVS launched "English for Advancement" classes in Dorchester and East Boston in September, 2016, in Lawrence January 2017 and in Lynn March 2017. ESOL classes are offered to refugees and immigrants whose goal is to find employment. In addition to English classes, clients receive career coaching including job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- min. 6 hours per week, min. 3 month duration