AquaTeens is an exciting way for teens to explore the opportunities in zoo and aquarium careers. We are looking for positive, responsible students with an enthusiasm for learning and having fun. This is a year-round program that requires a commitment of 32 hours per month during the summer (June, July, and August) and 4 hours per semester for the folllowing Fall and Spring. You must reapply each year.
- Guest Services - Greet and open doors for guests, serve as TSA mascot, complete guest surveys, and act as directional guides and sources of information for guests.
- H-E-B Splash Park - Help with keeping area clean, and kids safe and entertained.
- SeaCamp- Assist SeaCamp counselors with daily projects, and act as an extra set of eyes and ears. AquaTeens will also be participating in activities such as canoeing and swimming.
- Family Learning Center - Help prepare for daily programs, keep area clean, help with arts and crafts. Will also help in the Weston’s Library area (keep area clean, help with story time, and learn basic library procedures).
- Pepsi Shoreline Grill - Assist with keeping area clean, and with preparing food.
- Fundraising - Work airbrush tattoo machine, games, arts and crafts to support various aspects of the volunteer department.
- Recycling - Assist with weekly recycling at the Aquarium and participate in scheduled Adopt-A-Beach clean-ups.
- Exhibit Guide - Learn about the habitats and animals at the Aquarium, assist visitors, and answer questions about the exhibits.
2nd Year and Beyond Opportunities (in addition to above):
- Animal Husbandry Assistant - Help Aquarists, Keepers, and Trainers with the care maintenance of the animals and exhibits (volunteering in this area is based on knowledge, training, and experience obtained at the Aquarium.)
- Dolphin Bay and Wild Flight Interpretation Assistant - Help keep Dolphin Bay and the Hawn Wild Flight Theater clean and ready for visitors, help seat visitors for the program and generally assist Interpretation staff at Dolphin Bay. (Volunteering in this area is based on knowledge, training, and experience obtained at the Aquarium. AquaTeens will not have any direct contact with the dolphins or birds.)
- Be between the ages of 14-17 (Must be 14 by August 1st, 2017)
- Complete an application
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Participate in an interview process
- If accepted, complete the required training and meet schedule requirements
- Deadline for applications is April 15
- Click here to fill out an application
- To get more information click here.
*Program start dates are subject to change.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Habitat Restoration
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 96 Hours for the Summer, 4 Hours per School Semest
- Application, Essay, Letters of Recommendation