The Brownwood Library would like to start a seed library, where members can "check out" new seed varieties to grow. See: http://www.richmondgrowsseeds.org/ for a great example of one library's seed library.
If you are interested in helping to start the seed library, you would be helping to shape this at the very beginning of a new program. Some of the tasks the Seed Libarian(s) would need to do would include (one person does not need to do ALL of these):
1. Research how other seed libraries operate and work with the Brownwood Library to develop a framework and policies that would work for our community.
2. Soliciting donations. Many people have extra seeds in packets. This would be a great opportunity for sharing. Also, seed companies will sometimes donate to projects like this.
3. Create signs and instructions for growing, saving and sharing.
4. Decide which seeds would be of the greatest benefit here.
5. Teach classes on gardening, seed saving, etc.6. Let the community know about the Seed Library.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- "Book a Genealogist" Volunteer
- Baby Storytime Facilitator
- Computer class teachers needed!
- Love to shop? Shop for homebound...
- Scan and upload genealogy files...
- Use your video skills to share...
- DVD/CD polisher
- Research and online selling...
- Do you love gardening? We're...
- Love children and the library?...
- Needle Leaders needed for Yarn...
- Therapy Dogs wanted for Library...