ESL Program Volunteer Tutor: Corazón a Corazón
Corazón a Corazón hosts an English as a Second Language program for adults, which helps solidify essential English language skills. Our center is equipped with textbooks and a multitude of games and resources for one-to-one and conversation classes.
We are hopeful for a minimal commitment of two hours per week, but are grateful for whatever commitment a tutor can give us. This is an unpaid internship.
ESL tutor undergoes a 12-hour training with Literacy Works to acquire basic knowledge of working with ESL students. The training will be free of charge and tutors will become a Certified ESL Tutor. This certification is recognized world-wide. Tutors will meet with the program coordinator at least twice a month to discuss the ESL student's goals and achievements.
The ESL tutor will work with individuals and/or small groups of students in specific courses or in academic skill areas (e.g. reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation, etc.). Tutors may work directly with particular instructors as well, offering support to a class as a whole or to individuals needing extra help to keep up and to go further. In addition to direct contact with students, ESL tutors are expected to complete and maintain tutor records as directed and to maintain the confidentiality of all student-related information. On-going participation in tutor training sessions is encouraged.
- communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- recognize variations in student backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles
- interact in a friendly and patient manner with students from different cultural backgrounds, students of all levels of language proficiency, and students who may have disabilities
- present standard American English language clearly and serve as a linguistic model for students
- communicate effectively with students by articulating clearly, selecting vocabulary, and assessing comprehension by varying methods
- explain grammar in an easy-to-understand way without overwhelming students
- respond to student writing both holistically and analytically
- listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students, and build student confidence
- acquire deeper understanding of both course material and tutoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students
- work independently and collaboratively
- perform general clerical functions including maintaining accurate records
- plan and organize work for students
- establish and maintain rapport, credibility, and working relationships with those contacted in the course of work and be a role model for students
Required education: High school or equivalent
To begin the application process, please send us your resume at email@example.com.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- We ask for a commitment of at least 2 hrs a week