After School Program Volunteer Tutor: Corazón a Corazón
Are you looking for a site to complete service hours or just an opportunity to be the one who gives to help others needing a helping hand?
We invite you to join us in carrying out our mission to empower the community at our new location in Blue Island as an After-School Enrichment tutor. All training is provided free of charge.
Volunteer with our After School Enrichment program and help children needing an extra push to succeed in school!
Corazón a Corazón always welcomes volunteers to tutor grade school children with their homework in our program. Our goal is to help children from the surrounding community by giving them extra practice with their schoolwork and a healthy snack.
Sessions run from 3 pm until 5:30 pm- Monday through Thursday.
Although this is an unpaid internship, we are offering academic credit (internship credit) to tutors who can volunteer 10 hours per week all semester. We are hopeful for a minimal commitment of 2 days per week for 3 months, but are grateful for whatever commitment a tutor can give us. All tutors are required to pass a background check and to attend a Virtus training (provided free of charge)
High school or equivalent
The After-School Tutor:
- works with a group of students to provide assistance in one or more academic subjects;
- assists students develop a better understanding of in-class and homework assignments;
- coaches the student in identifying resources to complete assignments;
- reviews completed assignments and suggests ways to improve or supplement assignments; and provides positive feedback on the student’s progress and encourages the student’s continued focus on academic excellence.
- engages with students in extracurricular activities after the completion of assignments/homework.
- interacts and supervises students during recess and lunch time.
- serves as a chaperone during occasional fieldtrips.
- Tutor must be able to attend a preliminary interview and a Virtus training session .
- Tutor must be able to commit to tutoring a child for at least 2 days a week for approximately 3 months (Give a two week notice before termination.)
- Tutor must follow established tutorial guidelines and organization rules/regulations
- Tutor must demonstrate positive work ethic characteristics (punctuality, preparedness, and professionalism)
- Tutor must display genuine concern and compassion for students’ learning and self-esteem
Please send your resume to Ms. Mayra A. Pimentel- email@example.com to begin the application process!
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- We ask for a commitment of at least 2 days a week