East End House’s Youth Mentoring Program (YMP) is looking for caring and engaging adults that are interested in making a difference in the life of a growing youth in middle school.
The YMP matches caring adult mentors with middle school youth from under-resourced families to develop supporting and positive relationships that benefit youth’s engagement, social skills, and self-esteem.
Middle school can by a difficult time for anyone, in which "faults" can seem more glaring and talents may go unexplored without the proper attention and supports. As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to develop a meaningful relationship with a youth in need, who will benefit greatly from your guidance, example, and attention.
Mentors work closely with East End House’s Ambassador of Mentoring and Community Programs Coordinator to provide quality activities that build on youth’s strengths and expose them to new topics. Mentors will form positive relationships with the mentees and their mentees’ families. Finally, Mentors will collaborate with other mentors, particularly in training and development.
- Adhere to the East End House Staff Ground Rules for Working Together as outlined in the East End House Personnel Policy Handbook
- Establish positive working relationships with East End House staff, mentees, and other mentors
- Be enthusiastic about working with and enriching the lives of middle school youth.
- Be courteous, friendly, and communicative with mentee and his/her family.
- Most of all you should be committed to being your authentic self and make a lasting impact!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Able to commit to a year-long mentoring relationship with a Cambridge youth.
- Available to meet at least 4 hours a month (every 1 st and 3 rd Tuesdays from 6-8pm) with the youth in engaging social activities.
- Willing to engage in training, orientation, and ongoing workshops and development with the Program Director and other EEH staff.
- Will maintain a safe, healthy environment for the children, adhering to proper EEC, NAA, Department of Health and Bureau of Nutrition standards at all times.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hour meetings every 2 weeks
- Close the Achievement Gap: Help...
- Make a Friend: Mentor a Youth!
- Help Youth Grow Through Fun!
- After School Program Volunteer -...
- Volunteer with Toddlers and...
- Food Pantry Volunteer - East End...
- Mentor a Youth! East End House's...
- Break the Achievement Gap! Help...
- Volunteer with Middle Schoolers!...
- Play and Learn with Toddlers and...
- Volunteer with Senior Citizens!...
- Help Lead Clubs and Activities...
- Mentor a Youth: Make a Positive...