Engage at-risk children and youth and their families in the wonder and promise of literacy and learning! The South Sound Reading Foundation promotes literacy and learning and serves youth 0-18, especially those at-risk. Our goal is to increase the number of eager and engaged learners in Thurston and Mason counties. The SSRF staff plus a corps of volunteers work collaboratively to deliver our message and materials through a variety of programs, including storytimes, books clubs, book talks, and through attending community events.
We are currently hiring a Literacy and Learning Engagement Coordinator through the Washington Service Corps branch of AmeriCorps. This position has full time hours, but as an AmeriCorps you are participating in volunteer service. It is open to individuals aged 18-25 (17 with parental permission).
Compensation: Youth in Service, AmeriCorps
- Living stipend of $1,205 per month provided (before taxes)
- Health Insurance (member only and only if no other health insurance coverage)
- A $5,815 Education Award provided by National Service Trust upon successful completion of the member's term of service and 1700 hours of service
- Student loan forbearance and interest accrual payment (on qualifying loans)
Major Responsibilities and Related Tasks:
- Develop literacy and learning engagement activities for children and youth
- Help develop and implement family engagement programming, including STEM programming,
- Serve as a mentor and reading engagement tutor for 1-3 elementary school aged youth,
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings,
- Recruit volunteers for literacy and learning programming,
- Network with community members and service providers to plan events and provide services,
- Participate in AmeriCorps team meetings and service projects, and
- Monitor participation, complete necessary data collection, evaluation and reporting.
- Ability to work independently and adjust to a flexible schedule
- Enjoy working with youth of all ages and ethnicities, including children in at-risk situations
- Ability to drive foundation van
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds up and down stairs on a regular basis
- Will need to clear a background check
- Ability to access and use computer for communications and record keeping
- Strong organizational skills
- Current WA state driver's license and a clean driving record
- Some college is preferred with a focus on education, children's literature, library science or related fields
- Access to own transportation
Qualified Applicants: Submit cover letter and resume by 7/1/17 to the Reading Foundation, RE: AmeriCorps Literacy and Learning Engagement Coordinator, 305 College Street NE, Lacey WA 98516, or to firstname.lastname@example.org
The South Sound Reading Foundation complies with all federal rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, creed, honorably-discharged veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or qualified individuals with sensory mental or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, and provides equal access to designated youth groups. This holds true for all Foundation employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and grievance procedures may be directed to Jennifer Williamson Forster, the Reading Foundation's Executive Director, 305 College St. NE, Lacey, WA 98516, (360) 412-4499. We hire only U.S. Citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers as per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. The South Sound Reading Foundation is a drug free/tobacco free workplace.
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 40 hrs/week
- See opportunity description.