Discovery Camp is a co-ed summer day camp at The Franklin Institute. The goal is to get campers excited about science and to nurture their spirit of inquiry and discovery. Campers are grouped based on the grade level they are entering (typically Pre-K, K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8). CITs work directly with the campers in their classrooms, providing teaching support to the Camp Counselors and ensuring the physical and emotional well being of all campers. CIT’s should also be willing to assist with organizing and distributing camp supplies.
Special Skills Required:
All CITs must be proactive, reliable, and have an interest in working with children. They should possess a high level of maturity, a positive attitude, along with strong communication and leadership skills. A desire to continue in the fields of science and/or education is preferred.
- All CITs must be available for at least 3 full camp sessions (one week each). Please see the next page for session dates and themes
- Volunteer shifts are 8 hours each day, Monday-Friday, and can be any preferred times between 8:00 am-5:30 pm, i.e. 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- All CIT’s will receive a 45-minute lunch break
Orientation and Training Dates:
- Orientation for New CITs- Sunday, May 20 from 1:00-5:00 pm
- Orientation for Returning CIT’s- None
- DC Skills Training for New & Returning CIT’s- Saturday, June 2 from 9:00 am-5:00 pm; lunch will be provided
Please email email@example.com or visit https://www.fi.edu/join-our-team/volunteer for more information on summer Youth Volunteer opportunities.
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours/day Monday - Friday; 3 camp sessions