APPLY BY 4 p.m. EST ON MARCH 30, 2017
Education Volunteers engage and educate aquarium guests in a variety of ways. Whether they are connecting people to animals and nature at the park's touch pool, exploring conservation stories through interpretation at exhibits, or taking on active roles in conservation by assisting with campaigns- education volunteers are vital to the WCS mission to save wildlife and wild places worldwide.
As an education volunteer, you will have the opportunity to meet individuals from around the world and join a family of fellow volunteers, staff, and wildlife experts who share a passion for our natural world. You can help in a variety of ways to staff exhibits, teach visitors about marine conservation, and assist at events and education programs.Education volunteer programs are open to:
- Working and Retired Adults
- College/Grad Students
- Teens who are at least 15 years of age or older
Education Assistant greet and engage groups as they enter park and guide them to their classrooms. They will also provide support to NYA Educators during classes and activities, by assisting with school, family and general audience programs, aquarium camps, birthday parties, and outreach programs. Education Assistant Volunteers May also assist with Touch Pool when needed.What are some of the responsibilities?
- Greet school groups at the Gate and escort them to their classroom
- Support the Instructor during classes with various duties
- Lead exhibit visits
- Provide input for new program opportunities
- Meet with the Instructors/Education team on a regular basis
- Assist with future program preparations
- Facilitate animal encounters at the aquarium's Touch Pool as needed
Education Assistant Volunteers should:
- Have an Enthusiasm for working with children and their families
- Have an Appreciation for hands-on, creative activities
- Have an Interest in formal and informal education practices
- Be Comfortable supporting Educators and taking directions as needed
- Be Comfortable with handling live invertebrates
- Have the Ability to kneel/sit on the ground, ability to stand/move about facility for a full day if needed, in all weather
- Have the Ability to lift 30 lbs. or more
- Volunteers commit to serving a minimum 2-4 shifts per month (full day or ½ day shifts; both set and open schedules available).
- We have shifts available Sundays through Saturdays (7 days). Mostly Morning shifts with some Afternoon shifts available.
- Flexible scheduling
- Volunteers self-select each month the days and shifts they wish to volunteer.
Please see our website at: http://nyaquarium.com/volunteering/education-volunteers for more information about the program, application deadline, and to print an application. High school students must aslo print a teacher recommendation form.
- People Skills
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- See Website fro details
- See website for more details:http://nyaquarium.com/volunteering/education-volunteers