Community Experience Volunteer
WhenMon Jun 05, 2017 - Fri Jun 23, 2017
WhereWalmartNew Castle, DE 19720
Program Description: The Community Experience Program is a program serving adults with intellectual disabilities, including autism, who like variety and seek opportunities out in the community while building independent skills to work toward employment. Participants are supported in the community in various activities, including leisure activities, volunteer work opportunities (with nonprofit organizations), or paid work.
Purpose: The Community Experience Program is excited to partner with a local Walmart store to have participants volunteer and learn retail job skills. In order for participants to be as successful as possible, our staff is looking for 5 volunteers to work 1:1 with an adult with intellectual disables during a placement at Walmart. Easterseals and Walmart will provide training to volunteers before they are paired with an Easterseals participant.
- Be available the first 3 weeks in June 2017 for:
- training alongside Easterseals staff in each department at Walmart (shoes, accessories, men/women clothing & infant/child clothing) to ensure feel comfortable in tasks to assist in the training of the participants.
- Two weeks of volunteering on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays following the week of training.
- Support completion of job tasks, navigation of work environment
- Model and teach appropriate work skills
- Train participants in tasks related to the different retail departments listed above
- Oversee participants in their daily tasks to assure they are completed adequately
- Offer 1:1 friendship
Length of Volunteer Position: First 3 weeks in June 2017 for a total of 18 hours.
Qualifications: Pleasant manner, outgoing, approachable, patient, problem-solving ability, dependability and desire to work with people with disabilities. Please apply for this opportunity by Monday May 15 th, 2017.
Age Requirement: Must be at least 18 years of age
Dress Code: A dark blue t-shirt and beige khaki pants
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- First 3 weeks in June 2017 for a total of 18 hours