User Interface (UI) Designer
Objective: IESC is seeking a hands-on volunteer designa consistent user interface look for the ENGINE digital platform that has both a web application and mobile app.
Level of effort: Approximately 10 days.
Duration: The optimal timeline for delivery is 1 April 2017-30 April 2017.
Location: Remote - online.
Background: Tanzania has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. With nearly 70 percent of the country’s labor force and a quarter of its GDP tied to agriculture, the US government, through its Feed the Future initiative, recognizes the high potential for stimulating inclusive, broad-based economic growth through support to the sector.
The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational, and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions, and micro, small, and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
- Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
- Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen SME capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
- Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance: Part of the way ENGINE plans to expand access to finance and information for SMEs is through providing them with a platform where interaction with the Business development service providers is simple and easy. The ENGINE team is developing a digital platform that establishes market linkages between the SMEs, Business Service providers, and the financial institutions. The platform consists of a web based system and a mobile App that are interlinked with a database for SMEs and BDS providers. ENGINE seeks a volunteer that can provide a competent, consistent, sophisticated, and unique user experience, ENGINE is seeking a Volunteer who can design and generate wireframes of user interface controls, icons and visual elements for the Mobile App and web application.
Anticipated Task(s): Working with the ENGINE Component 3 development team to design and generate graphical wireframes of user interface controls, icons and visual elements for the Mobile App, and web application. In doing so, it will be incumbent for the designer to understand:
- How interface design, visual language and branding are integral parts of the user experience
- The ENGINE branding guidelines
- The current system
The approach to designing of the new UI/UX for the web application and mobile appwould ideally follow below:
- Design and generate graphic wireframes of the UI controls (Buttons, Menus, Text Fields);
- Design and generate wireframes of the overall style (theme) for the visual elements (Fonts, colors, graphics, images, icons, banners);
- Create a final pixel example page for a website and mobile app screen;
- Submit the design output (wireframes, mockups) to the ENGINE team.
Reports to: Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party/Finance Specialist (Component 3 Lead).
- Style/ Visual elements specifics (Colors, fonts etc.) for ENGINE team review and feedback;
- Mockups/wireframes for UI controls for ENGINE team review and feedback;
- Wireframes for sample final pixel webpage and mobile app.
Preferred Volunteer Qualifications:
- At least 3 years’ experience working as digital product designer, taking responsibility for all aspects of the user experience;
- Expert proficiency and access to Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) / Sketch, Prototyping Tools E.g. Marvel, Invision, Wireframing tools;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings;
- Patience, flexibility, and an open mind will be highly advantageous;
- University degree in related discipline is preferred.
- Possess a portfolio full of beautiful, well thought out interfaces that highlight your flair and attention-to-detail. Examples must include web and app designs that you have worked on;
- Ability to turn complex business ideas into simple to understand and easy to use customer interfaces;
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Web Design / UX
- Mobile Programming
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- IT Strategy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment