CARECEN seeks Classroom Assistants to help change lives by supporting adult learners in our ESOL classes to develop and improve their reading, writing, and conversational English.
By developing language and literacy skills, our students are better equipped to tackle everyday tasks at the grocery store, workplace, or even parent-teacher conferences while working towards achieving life goals such as:
- Preparing for (and passing!) citizenship tests
- Advancing their work opportunities
- Earning their GED
- Supporting their children’s education
- Advocating for oneself and one’s family
- And overall personal satisfaction
This is a great opportunity for students, retirees, or anyone interested in dedicating their time and language skills to serve their community. Classroom Assistants gain valuable experience to in the ESOL classroom, learn about adult education fields, interact with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, utilize bilingual language skills on a regular basis, use on-trend technology as a learning tool in the classroom, and have fun doing it!
- Work one-on-one, in small groups, or in-class with adult learners at our Hempstead office
- Work on English language acquisition activities provided by the ESOL Teacher
- Assist ESOL Teacher with administrative tasks such as handing out, collecting, and giving feedback on assignments, and setting up or putting away classroom resources, tablets, or other tools.
- We ask for a commitment of at least two class sessions per week for the duration of each term (10 weeks), with classes conducted during the day or in the evening.
In order to provide our students with the most welcoming learning environment possible, teaching assistant interns must have
- A passion for immigration and an interest in teaching or other education and human service related fields
- Experience in classroom settings is helpful, but not required
- English fluency required, Spanish fluency highly preferred
- Warm, inviting and outgoing.
- Self-starter, punctual, and reliable
- Available either mornings, afternoons, or evenings to help during class or with structured independent study hours.
- Tech-savvy and able to assist with the tablet/Smartboard activities, classroom management, set-up, break-down, etc.
Classroom Assistants should be eager to gain experience working with adult learners from diverse, low-income immigrant backgrounds who are motivated to improve their lives and the lives of their families.
Send us your resume and cover letter if you’re interested in this opportunity!
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- 1-2 classes per week for 10-week semester