The Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk, a 501(c)3 nonprofit supporting the visual arts and culture in Downtown Los Angeles, is seeking volunteers to help in the setup and take-down of our pop-up Lounge and Gallery on the 2nd Thursday of each month.
Support is needed in the following area:
- Setup and take-down of our Downtown Art Walk Lounge, a one-day pop-up located in the MALDEF building at 634 S. Spring Street on each Art Walk.
- Assisting visitors and answering questions about local galleries, and the self-guided tour of the galleries which is available in our Downtown Art Walk map and Gallery Guide
- Preference will be given to volunteers who can be available for several Art Walk dates as a certain amount of training is involved in regards to artwork handling and installation/take-down, as well as how to respond to visitors and help them find what they are looking for
This opportunity takes place during the Downtown Art Walk, which is on the 2nd Thursday of each month. Upcoming dates in 2017 are April 13th, May 11th, June 8th, July 13th, August 10th, and so on throughout the year.
Typically, setup and take-down requires physical labor, such as hanging and de-installing artwork, installing portable lights, helping vendors with inquiries and table setup, and running errands for the team.
Volunteers should expect to start their day around 2pm to help with installation, and be ready to assist Lounge visitors at the Art Walk check-in table when we open, from 6-10PM. As this is a one-day pop-up, the Downtown Art Walk team and volunteers will de-install all the contents of the pop-up promptly at 10pm, as we need to exit the space by 11pm. Of course, breaks will be given between 2 and 11pm so volunteers can have a meal and rest.
We do not typically reimburse parking (unless budget is permitting), and we encourage our staff to use public transportation when possible. Please note that Los Angeles traffic is always heavy on 2nd Thursdays towards Downtown Los Angeles, so please allow enough time for travel.
- People Skills
- Customer Service
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Each Art Walk (2nd Thursday of each month)
- Please attach a resume and references