Recording Studio Narrator
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
16 people are interested
The studio narrator reads aloud print material to record digital books and magazines for library users. The narrator conveys the intent and style of the author for each recording bringing the work to life for the listener.
The narrator partners with a studio monitor. The monitor listens to the narrator as they record. Following the text of the work, the monitor detects any errors and controls the recording process.
On average, one book takes 10 to 15 one-hour recording sessions plus 1 to 2 hours of editing to complete.
Narrators are selected following an audition at the library. If a potential volunteer is not selected as a narrator, they may still volunteer as a studio monitor or audio reviewer.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A pleasant voice with clear, distinct and readily understandable diction
- Attentive to detail
- Comfort working in a small enclosed space
- Ability to pre-read the material prior to recording
- Ability to rehearse for pronunciation and phrasing
- Ability to reflect the author’s intent and style
- Ability to accurately pronounce words and learn alternative pronunciations
- Be willing to accept correction and make necessary changes
- Complete at least one recording in its entirety including post-recording edits
Studio is open Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Minnesota Braille and Talking Book Library (MBTBL), located in Faribault, provides direct library service to pre-school age children to seniors with visual, physical and reading disabilities for whom conventional print is a barrier to reading. Narrators read local interest books aloud to create talking books.
About Minnesota Braille and Talking Book Library
388 SE 6th Ave, Faribault, MN 55021, US
That All May Read
The Minnesota Braille and Talking Book Library provides a specialized statewide public library service to Minnesotans of all ages who cannot hold, handle or see well enough to use conventional print materials.
We'll work with your schedule.
388 SE 6th AveMinnesota Braille and Talking Book LibraryFaribault, MN 55021
- Public Speaking
- Reading / Writing
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading Comprehension
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Multiple sessions, in one hour increments
- We ask that you finish any project you start. Studio is open Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.